Mount Snow 4-22-18 Closing Day - Updated snowcover picture 5-5-18

sugarloafsugarloaf expert
edited May 8 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 988

Area Skied: Mount Snow

Date skied: April 22, from 8am - 12:30pm

Weather: Cobalt blue, temperature 27F at 8am

Surface conditions: Fruzoroy, machine groomed, wet packed.

My son and I skied Mount Snow for closing day, which is only the second time I have skied closing day in Vermont. Conditions early on where frozen solid groomer on Deer Run/Long John as well as Ego Alley, which was beautifully groomed. Lodge/Canyon skied nicely around 9am, with soft corn like snow mixed with firm groomer.

Cascade was very soft by 10am and I skied that to River Run, which was frozen solid. I finally skied Fallen Timbers, which is the trail I dislocated my shoulder on last April. The snow was very firm at the Summit, but transitioned to softer snow further down. Sorry for the lack of pictures, it's hard for me to stop and balance myself for pictures.

imageimageimage

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

MS (Medium).JPG
1365 x 768 - 389K
Ripcord (Medium).JPG
1024 x 768 - 274K

Comments

Great overview picture! Shows how much snow is really left
    - Sam
  • jaytremjaytrem advanced
    I was most amazed at the snow cover on Jaws. Not a rock to be found, and there usually is shortly after 3 foot dumps. Possibly the best closing day ever. Wish we could get one more weekend out of them.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Felt way more like a late March Spring skiing day where you know in the back of your mind that you've still got 2-3 weekends minimum left until closing day than the actual closing day!!
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    What's really amazing is the amount of natural snow still remaining. Considering it's nearly May. Mount Snow could easily make it another week

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Haha ripcord is still looking fabulous.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    mtsnow123 said:

Haha ripcord is still looking fabulous.

And once it softened up and the rope dropped early afternoon, it skied fabulous too today!!

• QuietmanQuietman intermediate
    Has to go down as one of my best closing days ever. The depths in the woods on the North face were fantastic.  At the Crotch I was hitting bad stuff in the woods almost all winter, and today on April 22nd I could completely relax an not worry about my bases at all.  Had a blast!!
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    Amazing, sugarloaf!

Hope you made your peace with Fallen Timbers.  Nice photos, and I don't blame you for not taking many ... April conditions change too rapidly.

Woody

Amazing, sugarloaf!

Hope you made your peace with Fallen Timbers.  Nice photos, and I don't blame you for not taking many ... April conditions change too rapidly.

Woody
    The larger issue for me was getting stuck stopping on a trail as more water melted into the snow towards noon.

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited April 23 Posts: 2,177
    I actually had to look up Fallen Timbers to see where it is. What can I say? I just ski them and don't read many signs. Probably just my timing, but that trail is often scraped off when I've skied it. I hit it early yesterday. Also didn't know they would drop ropes that late on North Face, They all looked skiable a considerably earlier than that.
    I'm telling you we need arm bands or a secret wave or something. Let's see; Jaytrem, Dr Jeff, Sugarloaf, Quietman, Ski_It and honorably mention Matt were there all on the same day! Anyone else?

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • SullySully intermediate
    Was also there, posted a little trip report over on AZ. What an amazing day it was out there, especially after Wed-Fri were doom and gloom weather wise. Can't wait for next season, but for now it is time for K to take the torch on into May and June.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    So at least 6 of us, I bet we all know each other by ski gear or method.

Good report over there. I went thru a few of those long single lines. They'd didn't take as long as you'd think on the 6 pack. Over on the 4 pack it was a different story since there were more groups of 4. I don't understand what people do when parking there. I got there around 9 and some people were already parking way down in lot E with no shuttle when there were plenty of spots up in A-C. Perhaps it is close to the same distance to the lodge but A-C isn't uphill.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Mt_TomMt_Tom novice
    I wish they would reopen for the weekends as this whole new slogan of "We Love Snow" yet closing with the no snow making trails still open and deep base depths, the snow making trails definitely should be able to last till May.

My son and I drove back through Vermont on the way home from Whiteface and stopped to take a picture of the snow cover still remaining at Mount Snow:

5/5/2018:

MS 5518 (Medium).JPG
    1024 x 768 - 191K
    sugarloaf said:

My son and I drove back through Vermont on the way home from Whiteface and stopped to take a picture of the snow cover still remaining at Mount Snow:

5/5/2018:

Looks like Canyon is doing very well still, at least from the top of Canyon Express. Snowdance may be a bit of connecting. I bet North Face is still doing very well.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    mtsnow123 said:

sugarloaf said:

5/5/2018:

Looks like Canyon is doing very well still, at least from the top of Canyon Express. Snowdance may be a bit of connecting. I bet North Face is still doing very well.
    Based on the summit cam shot looking off of the Bullwheel decks towards Somerset Reservoir, Freefall has melted out more than I would of expected...
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    I suspect that Carinthia has (had) better cover than the main mountain shown above.  Mt. Snow's low elevation have always knocked them out competition for the late season market.

I suspect that Carinthia has (had) better cover than the main mountain shown above.  Mt. Snow's low elevation have always knocked them out competition for the late season market.

I did notice that Nitro's jump line was HUGE by the end of the year. It went (IMO) from small/medium to medium/large from January to late March. The jumps were boosting you higher and the gaps were larger.
    mtsnow123 said:

sugarloaf said:

5/5/2018:

There was no snow at the base of the mountain save for a few small patches.

mtsnow123 said:

I did notice that Nitro's jump line was HUGE by the end of the year. It went (IMO) from small/medium to medium/large from January to late March. The jumps were boosting you higher and the gaps were larger.
    Snow is being stockpiled on Inferno and it's about 20' + high with a snowcat on top of it.

• Bill29Bill29 advanced
    Sugarloaf, do you know why are they stockpiling snow?
    edited May 8 Posts: 988
    Bill29 said:

Sugarloaf, do you knotw why are they stockpiling snow?

For the Memorial weekend park event at the bottom of Inferno.

https://www.mountsnow.com/events/calendar/peace-pipe-rail-jam/

Somewhat, but not that much more. The hot weather and heavy rain melted allot of snow.

• DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Carinthia, where the jumps are, retains snow just on shear depth of base for a while longer than the main face.  Carinthia, where the areas in between the jumps are, that often due to the farming of the snow to make the jumps, at most has as much snow depth as main mountain trails, and often secondary to the snow farming for the jumps may have a little less average base depth than main mountain trails, and hence may actually melt out a bit quicker in between the jumps than other areas of the mountain
    sugarloaf said:

mtsnow123 said:

Snow is being stockpiled on Inferno and it's about 20' + high with a snowcat on top of it.

I wonder if the snowcat is a permanent fixture there or just by chance they were pushing the snow around on the day you saw it. Is there any benefit to a snowcat sitting on the top of the pile?
  • newmannewman advanced
    edited May 9 Posts: 455
    The driver may of ran to the woods because of the coffee. :-O
  • spk27alumnispk27alumni intermediate

I find this to be an interesting opinion, since there was a time when Mount Snow was one of the last of three areas to be open during the Spring Season. The head of snowmaking at Mount Snow, during the early to mid 80's, had learned the art of building a deep base from working at Hunter Mountain in the late 70's. His team would bury two runs on the North Face, which has a base elevation of 2560 ft. above S.L., and we skied there many seasons into IIRC the 2nd week of May. We would ride over the East side of Mount Snow, which was totally devoid of snow, on the Summit lift. The day was spent on the North Face lift, with the Summit Lodge for breaks, and we would download on the front side when done. After they closed, it was off to the top half of Mount Ellen until Memorial Day; and then K above the Mid loading platform until June for the final lift served skiing. Those were the days when fixed grip lifts were economical enough to run two, where required, to keep the Spring skiing on upper elevation pods.      
  • slathamslatham advanced

I find this to be an interesting opinion, since there was a time when Mount Snow was one of the last of three areas to be open during the Spring Season. The head of snowmaking at Mount Snow, during the early to mid 80's, had learned the art of building a deep base from working at Hunter Mountain in the late 70's. His team would bury two runs on the North Face, which has a base elevation of 2560 ft. above S.L., and we skied there many seasons into IIRC the 2nd week of May. We would ride over the East side of Mount Snow, which was totally devoid of snow, on the Summit lift. The day was spent on the North Face lift, with the Summit Lodge for breaks, and we would download on the front side when done. After they closed, it was off to the top half of Mount Ellen until Memorial Day; and then K above the Mid loading platform until June for the final lift served skiing. Those were the days when fixed grip lifts were economical enough to run two, where required, to keep the Spring skiing on upper elevation pods.      

Wow blast from the past. I remember this too, but only because I couldn't get it and it killed me. The North Face, with its exposure and elevation is a great late season option, though it would appear the desire to download has greatly diminished over the years.

Of course I stand by my opinion that best early/late season "pod" on the East Coast is the Summit lift at Mt Ellen.

edited May 15 Posts: 988
    I never did the Mt Snow late season skiing option. I did ski at Killington early/late season on Cascade/Downdraft, with the mid-station off the Killington Double Chair.

In the year's following the removal of the K Double, I did truck service to the glades from K Gondola summit and truck service to the Canyon Quad. I also remember one season of early skiing at Killington with skiing on Header, Cascade, Skelark and Snowshed with truck shuttle's in between.

I also did early season skiing at Okemo with bus service to/from the North Star Express Chair.

I've also skied at Sunday River in October off the Locke Mountain Triple. In my opinion, they have the most economical system. One lift and several possible early season skiing trail options.

• NJSkiNJSki advanced
    slatham said:

. After they closed, it was off to the top half of Mount Ellen until Memorial Day;

Of course I stand by my opinion that best early/late season "pod" on the East Coast is the Summit lift at Mt Ellen.

Agree 100%

Although I understand their reasoning, it is a shame that ideology there has changed to a shorter season at Lincoln Peak, with the real estate and hotel being the driving forces. If desired, they could give Killington a run for the money for longest season at Mt. Ellen.