Comments

• Already meantioned. My apologies. Any trail maps released? In my mind I’m trying to place the lift bottom and top
  • Here's a map to give you an idea
    Image_cont_9f9d912c8b5aefe94cb7d2ca6b852f77c8868c29.jpeg
    640 x 480 - 85K
  • Nice. Love it. As a point of reference is that Dropoff in the top left corner?
  • Where the top terminal gets off on Belt Parkway will be a Cluster£"€#. That area is going to take on a slow sign or two in the trail.
  • No dount. Some idiot will go to the top of Belt 1st time on skis and take out 20 people unloading the lift.
  • edited April 10
    Nice. Love it. As a point of reference is that Dropoff in the top left corner?

Sure looks like it. It appears the top terminal is at the intersection of White Cloud, Belt Parkway and Way Out? IDK hard to read that map. .... Later edit: yep looks like about 1000 vert to that point from GE and per Hunter Press release.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski_it said:

a Cluster£"€#. 
    Pretty much sums up skiing at Hunter on a weekend...
  • ski_it said:

a Cluster£"€#. 
    Pretty much sums up skiing at Hunter on a weekend...
    That was me, not Ski_It. Where the cursor goes, no one can control....or go back if you put it in the wrong place. I will refrain from political humor with that last one...
  • edited April 15
    On the map it looks like a flat trail from the base of West to the bottom of the new lift. So that could be used when the new lift is running, and the West expert
    trails could still be opened without using the Zephyr Quad. If this happens, skiing Clair's Way on slow days will involve skiing the new runout. A ride on the new chair. A run down lower Belt Parkway. Then a ride back up the six pack on the main face if you want to do
    Clairs twice in a row.
  • Idk, it's just hard to imagine 1000' of vert from that intersection which seems like at least 1/3 if not 1/2 way down the mountain.
  • edited July 17
    Yeah not my statement about the weekend, I've heard same but I haven't skied the weekend there.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • skirick said:

Idk, it's just hard to imagine 1000' of vert from that intersection which seems like at least 1/3 if not 1/2 way down the mountain.

I thought the same and I had to check it on GE. It looks possible although I'm not sure if I located the either terminal properly.
  • edited April 15
    The intersection is just shy of 31% down from the summit.

For the new six pack, I get 1000 vertical feet. Base looks to be about 1720' and the summit at the intersection is about 2720'.  For reference, the summit of the Kaatskill Flyer is around 3170' and the base is around 1700'
  • I think this is a great move. That mountain is so bizarre in its layout, due to the topography, and this provides 3 realtively straightforward intermediate runs, away from the main lodge mayhem.
  • I think this is a great move. That mountain is so bizarre in its layout, due to the topography, and this provides 3 realtively straightforward intermediate runs, away from the main lodge mayhem.

The maps show pretty tight lines for intermediate runs.

The maps show pretty tight lines for intermediate runs.
    They look as wide as Belt Parkway and Way Out.
  • Does look steep for blues but some other blues there are like blacks at other smaller areas.
  • newman said:

Does look steep for blues but some other blues there are like blacks at other smaller areas.

These "blue" trails are going to be fun with typical east coast hard pack
    :)>-
  • Moving along.....

Facebook update
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • Thks JMaul.
    Did you guys catch this post?
    "Just to confirm, the new lift will let people off on Belt Parkway?"
    Hunter Mountain, "Not exactly on but technically just below Belt Parkway and the intersection of Way Out. Belt Parkway is being rerouted around the new lift terminal."
  • That;s impressive. Can you get to base area from base of new lift or do you have to ride it to get back to base area?
  • edited July 12
    Its below the main base (and on the other side closer to Hunter West) you have to ride lift.

https://www.huntermtn.com/hunter-north-expansion/

Those trails look great imho.
  • Snow quality may be less of a concern than on other parts of the mountain. On the Peak quarterly investor call they mentioned that the whole new pod will be getting the latest in fully automated snowmaking, improving conditions while cutting labor costs.
  • From the pics on their website and FB, I only saw fan guns. So a fully automated fully fan gun system would be pretty cool. I would have to make the trip just to check that out!
  • Peak is generally pretty attached to the SMI Polecats, especially for trails that need fast early opening. Single pipe makes them an advantage for new installations - see Crotched 100% Polecat Fans.

They did go to Air/Water on Wildcat due to the existing systems, the relative narrowness of most trails and the subsidies available. Mount Snow has both for the same reasons but if you check the layout you'll find that there is at least one fan gun trail associated with each popular lift to support earlier opening with wider trails.
  • Do you think under the chair is a run? That looks good. Based on the rest of the layout there I’d have to guess yes
  • edited July 16
    NELSBEER said:

They did go to Air/Water on Wildcat due to the existing systems, the relative narrowness of most trails and the subsidies available.

Wildcat has a limited power supply coming into the notch as well.
  • tedede said:

NELSBEER said:

They did go to Air/Water on Wildcat due to the existing systems, the relative narrowness of most trails and the subsidies available.

So they went air/water with diesel generators?
  • edited July 16
    slatham said:

tedede said:

NELSBEER said:

So they went air/water with diesel generators?
    Correct, more like "stayed with". Many areas rent additional capacity to get open in the early part of the season. Availability is usually pretty good as the construction industry in the northeast is slower at that time.
  • edited July 16
    I can't Imagine it being 1000 vertical. Its close but its more like 900 looking at a topo. The summit of the lift is just about 2700 and the base is almost exactly 1800 feet. Still looks like some great terrain. I am just really confused why they didn't take the lift to the summit? Its only another 400-500 vertical up.
    Hunter.png
    847 x 510 - 915K
    ~Rich~