Ciscokid CABERFAE( LOST SECTION and open) 3/24/18

ciscokidciscokid expert
edited March 27 in Trip Reports Posts: 2,248
Had a great day by myself at HISTORIC Caberfae today under bluebird with hardpack man made. Temps in mid twenties to start with 10-20 mph east winds into the face while riding the chairs.Topped out about 40.

It was a take it easy day and chat with owner Tim Meyer, TJ a long term liftie, Carrie a 45 year ski patroller, and Cork a tall thin 70 yr old straight ski, ballet dancing parallel master who has skied here since the '60s.

The snow was hard and after 2 hours the "steeper" runs were getting skied off and icy patches developed . I was skiing by 9:30 and after a great lunch in R Dubs pub with the mandatory Bloody Mary by Arlo I was back out skiing all available runs.

With no grandsons pushing
me 4 hours including lunch was more than enough because I FULLY INTENDED TO FINALLY HIKE THE LOST area. After getting permission from Tim I ventured up the adjacent tbar lines and north of the dugout holes and finding 2 more rope tow shacks with motors( saw one last year) The Doppylmayr tbar at top of west ridge was the highlight. I enjoyed this almost 2 hours as much as I did the skiing. There is SO MUCH terrain here to hopefully reopen with lifts someday. It is all hikeable backcountry now.

Just a great way to end the season!image

Owner Tim Meyer and TJimage

Cork, the 70 year old ballet parallel ski dancer , a pleasure to watchimage

Carrie has patrolled since '74image
imageimageimageimageimage
IMG_4403.JPG
320 x 240 - 58K
IMG_4409.JPG
320 x 240 - 52K
IMG_4414.JPG
320 x 240 - 43K
IMG_4406.JPG
320 x 240 - 33K
IMG_4381.JPG
320 x 240 - 32K
IMG_4389.JPG
320 x 240 - 40K
IMG_4390.JPG
320 x 240 - 36K
IMG_4416.JPG
320 x 240 - 33K
IMG_4422.JPG
320 x 240 - 72K

Comments

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    IMG_4430.JPG
    320 x 240 - 64K
    IMG_4431.JPG
    320 x 240 - 62K
    IMG_4433.JPG
    320 x 240 - 68K
    IMG_4434.JPG
    320 x 240 - 53K
    IMG_4437.JPG
    320 x 240 - 67K
    IMG_4441.JPG
    320 x 240 - 57K
    IMG_4442.JPG
    320 x 240 - 57K
    IMG_4444.JPG
    320 x 240 - 46K
    IMG_4446.JPG
    320 x 240 - 61K
    IMG_4450.JPG
    320 x 240 - 52K
    IMG_4452.JPG
    320 x 240 - 67K
    IMG_4456.JPG
    320 x 240 - 92K
    IMG_4457.JPG
    320 x 240 - 57K
    IMG_4461.JPG
    320 x 240 - 66K
    IMG_4467.JPG
    320 x 240 - 66K
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    Thanks for starting the season with me. I wish our schedules would have worked out so we could have toasted a Bloody Mary from Arlo on a great season. Love king forward to ending my seasson at Cabby tomorrow with Megan
    IMG_4429.JPG
    320 x 240 - 52K
    IMG_4428.JPG
    320 x 240 - 35K
    IMG_4424.JPG
    320 x 240 - 39K
    IMG_4420.JPG
    320 x 240 - 33K
    IMG_4417.JPG
    320 x 240 - 32K
    IMG_4415.JPG
    320 x 240 - 55K
    IMG_4421.JPG
    320 x 240 - 56K
    IMG_4404.JPG
    320 x 240 - 60K
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    Nice job Cisco!  Maybe someday I'll ski out your way.
    As I have said before about half the acreage is self served hike in backcountry formerly tbars and rope tow served. Much of the area has not grown in as shown on aerial. If they bulldoze to make a new peak it will further make for unnatural viewing. I'm really surprised the environmentalist aren't screaming. The soil is primarily sand. The bulldozers did a lot of work back in here to make smooth tbar and rope tow lines. Just like the Slutsky's at Bearpen in the '50s.

As Ibrake4tbars mentioned to me, I am surprised they haven't cleaned up a lot of towers and other lift remnants off the ground. It was good to witness the lay of the land and walk through the area ima imagining being there 50 years ago and skiing up all the rope tows and T bars .

It was just a nice easy-going relaxing last day of the season for me and I hope Ted has a great day today with Megan

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.2432436,-85.7172253,15z/data=!3m1!1e3
    IMG_4469.JPG
    320 x 240 - 57K
    History for those who may not have seen it

https://www.michiganskier.com/caberfaehistory/
    Chuckstah said:

Thanks Chuck, better chance I ski out your way,

Which is what state again?
    Just checking resolutions
    IMG_4550.JPG
    640 x 480 - 153K
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    That place's old layout amazes me. 21+ lifts took a lot of staff to run ($$). Amazing they pulled in that many people to cover just the operating costs. I can think of major resorts now that shut half their lifts except on weekends and holidays...
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    ciscokid said:

Chuckstah said:

Thanks Chuck, better chance I ski out your way,

Which is what state again?
    Just saw this Cisco, with the bump of the thread.  I live in NH.

That place's old layout amazes me. 21+ lifts took a lot of staff to run ($$). Amazing they pulled in that many people to cover just the operating costs. I can think of major resorts now that shut half their lifts except on weekends and holidays...

Yes it certainly is intriguing to envision what it was like in the'50s/ '60s in its heyday and to have jumping and early on toboggan runs.
    It's also intriguing to think how the Meyers will open a 3rd higher peak in a few years and how that will play out. But for a mere $99 season weekend pass one thing is for sure, Ted and I will be visiting Cabby and tipping a few of Arlo's best BM's.

I don't know of any currently operating ski area with this high a percentage of "lost" acreage within its open backcountry boundaries.
    ciscokid said:

Yes it certainly is intriguing to envision what it was like in the'50s/ '60s in its heyday and to have jumping and early on toboggan runs.
    It's also intriguing to think how the Meyers will open a 3rd higher peak in a few years and how that will play out. But for a mere $99 season weekend pass one thing is for sure, Ted and I will be visiting Cabby and tipping a few of Arlo's best BM's.

I don't know of any currently operating ski area with this high a percentage of "lost" acreage within its open backcountry boundaries.

Arrowhead, NH has about 80% of its terrain abandoned, which is now used as backcountry.
    - Sam
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert

ciscokid said:

Arrowhead, NH has about 80% of its terrain abandoned, which is now used as backcountry.
    Pretty sure we had a thread on this subject:

1) Big Squaw in Maine since the demise of the summit chair
    2) Some might also suggest that the entire area of Crotched Mtn. known as the Enchanted Forest, which was part of the 1980s Crotched complex is lost side-country.  
    3) much of what was Ascutney certainly fits in this category
    4) Killington probably has as much as anyone with the upper part of Ramshead, most of Sunrise Mtn. and even some of the sides of Snowshed.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert

ciscokid said:

Pretty sure we had a thread on this subject:

1) Big Squaw in Maine since the demise of the summit chair
    2) Some might also suggest that the entire area of Crotched Mtn. known as the Enchanted Forest, which was part of the 1980s Crotched complex is lost side-country.  
    3) much of what was Ascutney certainly fits in this category
    4) Killington probably has as much as anyone with the upper part of Ramshead, most of Sunrise Mtn. and even some of the sides of Snowshed.
    Stowe's itty bitty part of the top of Spruce that is no more due to the new lift alignment