New private ski area in Pomfret, VT

conradconrad intermediate
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 59
I recently was driving on Joe Ranger Road in Pomfret, VT (near the border with Hartford VT) and noticed what looked like a surface ski lift (likely a platter). I couldn't believe my eyes. The carriers were not visible on the line and there were no ski tracks. I could only see the bottom of the lift from the road. However, it looked like a perfectly good ski lift!

I pulled up aerial imagery in Google Maps and it is so new that the land where the ski lift is had not yet been cleared. Bing Maps shows the ski area under construction, and TerraServer has good 2017 imagery showing the area. See the screenshot below:

Has anyone heard of this ski area? I search Pomfret ski and was not able to find any information. Incidentally, this is only 5-10 minutes away from Quechee Ski Area.

Comments

• newpylongnewpylong expert
    Woe that looks very long for a private hill
  • jaytremjaytrem advanced
    This is why the Hermitage is having so much trouble. Everybody with any money is just building their own ski area these days.

Seriously though, very cool find!
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Wow, goes with the new mansion on the property. SE exposure will not hold much snow, though...
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    What is the vertical?
    edited March 23 Posts: 678

Ski down to the base from the mansion. Ski back from the top. Pretty cool.
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced
    Ballpark, what would a lift like that cost someone to install on their property? What kind of permits would be needed, if any?
    I am not sure about Vermont, but in NH, Tramways are exempt from local permitting (and taxation) outside of the actual lift shacks if they exist. But you also cannot have such a lift that is not licensed by the Tramway board even for private use, which is why you don't see too many out in the open like VT.

The price tag could have a huge discrepancy depending on condition of the lift, who is doing the install, the engineering, etc. If they did it by the book and it needed serious refurbishment, a platter or something at 1250 feet it could cost them well over $150K excluding what it cost to obtain the lift. If they are just slapping it up it would be far less.

• bmwskierbmwskier expert
    I found a rope tow for nine grand, but couldn't price out the T-bar. However, I did find this for anyone with some spare $$$ to spend:

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • ski_itski_it expert
    So this isn't Grill Hill is it?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    edited March 23 Posts: 678
    No that is in Norwich and is only about 50 vert, slope looks much different. Whoever is building this one has a legit slope.
    So, does one buy a groomer for their private hill? That'd be half the fun of it!

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    bmwskier said:

So, does one buy a groomer for their private hill? That'd be half the fun of it!

That would be so much fun. If I had the money, I'd buy a brand new Pisten Bully. Really dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    edited March 23 Posts: 325
    The hill looks to be about 300' vertical.

Based on the house recently built on the property, money is no object when it comes to your own lift.

Also, looks like a small stream at the base. Wouldn't be surprised if a pond and snowmaking were in the future.....

You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    pomfret lift.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 677K
    There's a small groomer that does the XC course just down the road from me. Always wanted to ask for a ride or to plow my driveway with it. 

Greg Stump
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Snowmaking? What an endeavor. If money ain't a problem, blow baby blow! Pile up enough snow, farm it, and last into the summer.
    I know this has been posted before, but I'd love to be able to do something like this:

Greg Stump
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited March 23 Posts: 2,177
    NELSAP never told us he just moved to Vermont. ;)
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Thanks, Josh!

Greg Stump
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Need a road trip to get pics....from the road of course.
  • conradconrad intermediate

Need a road trip to get pics....from the road of course.

I too can maybe try to stop by after work and get a couple pictures one of these days. I didn't have my camera with me the first time..
    It now has its own page on NewEnglandSkiHistory
    http://newenglandskihistory.com/Vermont/pomfret.php
    - Sam
  • MissDaEastMissDaEast intermediate
    Just saw this thread.  I live in Quechee and know a little bit about this.  The very well liked family owned a home (or perhaps it was a second home - I think they were from Massachusetts) in Quechee for many years and were very active in all of the activities that the Quechee Club has to offer. Their children (there's a bunch of them) spent a lot of time skiing on the Quechee hill and participating in the Quechee racing program.  Subsequently, they bought a large property on Joe Ranger Road, just outside the Quechee boundaries, and built a large house (some call it a mansion), cut their own ski hill, and installed the lift.  I have only seen it from the road, but the towers are quite substantial.  I believe they also have a  get away "lodge" at the top of the hill.  I've heard that the lodge has a beautiful stone fireplace and sleeps ten, but I've never seen it.