2017-2018 closing dates

Comments

• VtSkierVtSkier novice

Bolton Valley's web site says Sunday April 8th is their closing date.

Bolton is bringing back their 'Spring Thing' on Saturday April 7th. Snow bar, BBQ, and music on the slopes. Just like the old days when the Deslauriers first owned the ski area!

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Chuckstah said:

Patrick/MadPat are one and the same.

I think he goes as patrick on SJ and MadPat on AZ.
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    edited March 31 Posts: 930
    Butternut is closing on April 1st. Jiminy Peak is closing on April 8th. Magic Mtn is closing on April 8th, but may try for the 14th. MRG is closing on April 8th.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• MadPatSkiMadPatSki intermediate
    edited March 31 Posts: 96

Chuckstah said:

Patrick/MadPat are one and the same.

I think he goes as patrick on SJ and MadPat on AZ.
    Patrick in the old SJ, defunct Epic, FTO and Zoneski
    MadPatSki in the new SJ, AZ, TGR, T4T, Pugski.

Working on it, I generally aim for the first weekend of April...however this weekend isn't really the first. This is taking longer than planned. Unfortunately it going to be faster as ski areas close.

Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    Without any further ado....

Eastern Closing Thread 2018 …No fooling with Easter skiing – Part 1
    Ski Mad World
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    Despite my November knee reconstruction, I was able to finally get in 5 days of skiing last week at Wachusett and Bretton Woods.  Wachusett is not being clear about their final closing day, with good reason.   Some places have 10' of snow, other places have nothing and it is melting so fast.  Last week started out so great!

• JonniJonni intermediate
    Sunapee is going for the 15th! I hope to get one more day in for this season either this coming Saturday or Sunday there since I'll be down visiting family.
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    A posting near the bubbler at Wachusett said it would be open April 6,7 and 8 and April 13, 14 and 15. With rain and warmer weather predicted, you take what you can get if they stick to that schedule. I expect there will be some pretty good skiing left. I also expect people will climb to earn turns midweek.
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Bolton April 8th.
  • skelley19skelley19 novice
    Bill29 said:

A posting near the bubbler at Wachusett said it would be open April 6,7 and 8 and April 13, 14 and 15. With rain and warmer weather predicted, you take what you can get if they stick to that schedule. I expect there will be some pretty good skiing left. I also expect people will climb to earn turns midweek.

My buddy and I hiked up yesterday morning.  There is still plenty of snow but the the base was rock solid with lots of snowmobile tracks on Smith (looks like mountain ops might have had some fun Sunday evening).  I am sure things softened up in the afternoon but good thing they got about 2" of fresh snow in the morning to cover what was underneath and provide us with a pretty fun surface.  We hiked up from the state reservation parking lot to where the Ropers Road trail meets the actual road and then continued on up the ski trail to the summit.  We came down Upper Smith, dropped onto the road by the lookout and through the woods to the terrain park.  Did a couple laps in there and then hiked back up to the Mass Pike and road that across the mountain and back to the reservation parking lot.  I'll be shocked if they are not open this coming weekend as planned but I am not sure they will make it to the following weekend.  There will probably be enough snow for 2 weeks out but not sure they will see the ROI in putting in the work to push snow around to cover bare spots.  Here are a few pics, I am in the green pants and other guy is my buddy Tom.

wawa2.jpeg
    960 x 1280 - 505K
    wawa4.jpeg
    1038 x 1280 - 510K
    wawa6.jpg
    1224 x 1632 - 410K
    wawa5.jpeg
    1224 x 1632 - 531K
  • FlyingZFlyingZ intermediate
    Stratton decided to reopen for April 13- 14-15, next Fri thru Sunday. Snow report says $25 tickets for that week end
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Rain and wind Wednesday will put a hurting on many places, but snow Friday?
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    I'm skiing this weekend with my son. We want to ski Bretton Woods at some point. They are now charging $29 for the rest of the season. We may ski Burke on Sunday for closing day and Bretton Woods on Monday. I'm waiting to see what damage the rain does.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    I'll be at Mount Snow Friday through Monday. They're saying 3-5 inches Friday and below freezing all weekend. It's going to be a bit icy with all this rain at the moment.
  • bmwskierbmwskier expert
    1-3 for Sugarbush this Friday and sun and pond skimming on Saturday.  Anyone around? I may work on Saturday. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    bmwskier said:

1-3 for Sugarbush this Friday and sun and pond skimming on Saturday.  Anyone around? I may work on Saturday. 

I'll be there in a couple of weeks.
    - Sam
  • bmwskierbmwskier expert
    Ok, I'll let you know if I'm out then! :-) 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • shprideshpride intermediate
    Blue Hills has announced they will be open this Saturday from 9-5.

This is the latest I will have skies there. Don’t know if it their latest closing ever? They have a huge mound of snow at the base I’m sure they are going to use to fill in the gaps.
    Ski Mad World
  • TygTyg novice
    shpride said:

Blue Hills has announced they will be open this Saturday from 9-5.

This is the latest I will have skies there. Don’t know if it their latest closing ever? They have a huge mound of snow at the base I’m sure they are going to use to fill in the gaps.

They just changed the last day to Sunday 9-5 instead of Saturday.
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    mtsnow123 said:

Bolton April 8th.

Bolton has added Fri-Sat April 13-14 as bonus days. Seems like the 15th is possible if weather is good
    Chuckstah said:

mtsnow123 said:

Bolton April 8th.

Bolton has added Fri-Sat April 13-14 as bonus days. Seems like the 15th is possible if weather is good
    It would seem I can’t edit my last post on Wordpress from my phone. I’ll update this tomorrow morning:
    Bolton tentative April 15 & Habitant on April 8.

I’m just hoping that someone from the Foxcard or voucher I have, will extend beyond April 16. Stupid crazy busy week where I had something pretty much everyday including tomorrow. :(

Left in hand:
    Whiteface
    Owls Head
    Smuggs
    Cannon
    Breton Woods
    + Tremblant voucher.

I’m free next Tuesday and beyond.
    Ski Mad World
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    Looks like Wachusett will wrap it up tomorrrow. I just did a quick 5 runs and the frozen cover was brutal. There is a ton of snow, particularly on the summit trails. Hope they groom tonight for tomorrow.
  • slathamslatham advanced
    Magic and Bromley are closed after tomorrow. Both got 6-8" going into today with awesome conditions for anytime of the year much less April 7th. In fact better than anything Jan or Feb brought. But thank goodness for March madness! Glad to see so much snow and such conditions, sad that it's over......
    Blue Hills decided not to open. Guess they couldn’t push enough snow around. I’m happy they at least made a go at it.
    Was just about to head to Blue Hills too so glad I checked their webpage before leaving
  • VtSkierVtSkier novice

Bolton extended their season to Friday 4/13 and Sat 4/14.

Closed Monday 4/09 thru Thurs 4/12.

• Bill29Bill29 advanced
    I took a look at Wachusett yesterday (Monday, Apr. 9) and it looked good. Much of lower Monadnock near the magic carpet is bare, but the rest of the mountain has virtually full cover.
    I sat on an Adirondack chair on the deck at the base lodge - Wachusett Beach-  in the sun - luscious - and watched a guy skin his way up Smith-Walten to the top. It took him about a half hour. I didn't see him come down. Maybe he's still up there. There were a few others climbing and skiing. They said the conditions were very good, though a little soft in the afternoon.
    Signs say the ski area is closed, there is no patrol on duty and people should proceed at their own risk.The area is scheduled to be open April 13, 14 and 15. It was open last
    weekend but the weather was iffy and the crowd was small.
  • TygTyg novice
    According to skivermont.com here are the closing dates for the resorts still open in Vermont.

Killington Resort: TBD
    Jay Peak Resort: TBD
    Sugarbush Resort: Closing mid-week operations after April 22, 2018. Re-opening on weekends with closing day on May 6, 2018.
    Mount Snow Resort: Closing day is April 22, 2018
    Okemo Mountain Resort: Closing day is April 22, 2018
    Stowe Mountain Resort: Closing day is April 15, 2018
    Smugglers’ Notch Resort: Closing day is April 15, 2018
    Stratton Mountain Resort: Closed mid-week, re-opening April 13, 2018. Closing day is April 15, 2018.
    Burke Mountain: Closed mid-week, re-opening for April 14, 2018. Closing day is April 15, 2018.
    Bolton Valley: Closed mid-week, re-opening April 13, 2018. Closing day is April 14, 2018.
    Mad River Glen: Hard tellin' not knowin'

Ski areas that have closed for the season in Vermont

Bromley Mountain: Closed on April 8, 2018
    Magic Mountain: Closed on April 8, 2018
    Pico Mountain: Closed on April 8, 2018
    Middlebury Snow Bowl: Closed on April 1, 2018
    Cochran’s Ski Area: Closed on April 1, 2018
    Suicide Six Ski Area: Closed on March 25, 2018
    Quechee Ski Area: Closed on March 25, 2018

• TygTyg novice
    As for New Hampshire and Maine closing dates set according to onthesnow.com are the following:

Maine

Sunday River: April 29,2018 (weather permitting)
    Sugarloaf: May 1, 2018 (weather permitting)

New Hampshire

Bretton Wood: April 16, 2018 (Patriots day)
    Cannon Mountain: April 15, 2018
    Loon Mountain: April 15, 2018
    Mount Sunapee: April 15, 2018
    Wildcat: May 6, 2018 (weather permitting)
    Waterville valley closed midweek reopening April 14, 2018. Closing day April 15, 2018

Massachusetts

Wachusett: closed midweek reopening April 14, 2018. Closing day April 15th, 2018.
    (both days they are open 8am-4pm only)

All dates can still change depending on weather.