Missing skier at Whiteface

lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 984
Strange story: http://www.wcax.com/content/news/Missing-skier-found-alive-in-California-473916753.html

At least he's alive, but big expense and risk looking for him.

Comments

• jgrecojgreco intermediate
    This line from the Times Union coverage made this story even more bizarre

"Police in Sacramento found Filippidis still wearing the ski clothing he disappeared in"

An incredible waste of time and resources... plus putting a lot of people at risk. I'm interested to hear his story though.

• JMaulJMaul advanced
    Another article.

Insurance scam gone wrong? And, now playing the crazy card? 
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    I am interested but also ticked. It takes a lot of time and resources to mount an SAR and it puts people at risk for injury. I've been on several searches and everyone involved takes the life of the missing very seriously. Playing games like this isn't welcome at all.
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    I'm holding judgment till we know what actually happened. Could just as easily have been a head injury vs something nefarious.

I was skiing with my brother in law a few years ago when he fell and hit his head hard. He had no idea where he was, why he was there, or who he was with. But he wasn't acting like a disoriented person. He was acting like a wise ass (his normal state) and we literally couldn't tell if he was joking or serious. We left him alone for a little while because we didn't realize how bad he was. During that time he started making phone calls to people asking where his kids were (they were with him), where he was, and other weird stuff. For all I know he might have been confused enough to get on a bus to California.
  • ADKskierADKskier advanced
    edited February 14 Posts: 307
    Just have to see how it plays out, new info out that he had hitchhiked with a Trucker, bought a pay to go cellphone and had  $1000 in cash on him. I'm pretty sure there are no truck routes from the Whiteface Parking lot (as his car was still there) to Sacramento Airport. I'm leaning that its something fishy. My only other guess is Early onset amnesia or some sort of head truama.
    ~Rich~
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert

I'm holding judgment till we know what actually happened. Could just as easily have been a head injury vs something nefarious.

I was skiing with my brother in law a few years ago when he fell and hit his head hard. He had no idea where he was, why he was there, or who he was with. But he wasn't acting like a disoriented person. 

Agreed and also seen this first hand.  It was hard to understand how the guy was speaking clearly yet totally oblivious to who/what/where/why etc.

One of the articles implies that he went via airplane, which begs the question, wouldn't a guy in ski boots raise a few flags.

edited February 14 Posts: 307
    latest article, he did not fly.

Filippidis said he caught a ride from Wilmington, New York, to Sacramento on a big rig.

He said he was sleeping for most of the 2,900-mile, 44-hour trip to California.

Filippidis told investigators he was traveling with a credit card and about $1,000 in cash.

He left his identification and passport with his belongings at Whiteface Mountain and his car was still in the parking lot.

Deputies said Filippidis bought a cellphone at some point along the way to California, but he doesn't remember where.

~Rich~
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • trackbikertrackbiker advanced
    That's old news. There is more to this story. If you believe that he went across the country and no one thought to photo a guy along the way wearing ski boots, a helmet, and goggles in say, Iowa, I have a bridge for sale, cheap.
    I'll respectfully withhold opinion about claiming a head injury until the investigation is complete. 
    ~Rich~
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    This will be really interesting to learn what really happened. Too loopy to remember much, yet knew enough to buy and iphone and call home (remembered number), gets a haircut, all while still in ski gear. And how did he get to a big rig from WF? Not exactly a long-haul trucker's route from there to Sacramento. Way more to this story, good or bad.
  • CannonballCannonball advanced

I'll respectfully withhold opinion about claiming a head injury until the investigation is complete. 

100% this.    

I am a skeptic by nature, and my first impressions of this story made me very suspicious of this guy.  The more I read about it, the more I dissolve my own skepticism and just become genuinely curious what happened.  Currently I'm open to almost anything, and leaning towards a head injury and honest memory loss.

With that said, I won't be surprised at all if there's a whole nefarious saga behind this. But I'm not ready to jump to that conclusion without hearing more, 
    The haircut is going to be the deal breaker...
    ~Rich~