Cochran's 2-10-18

BetsyBetsy intermediate
edited February 12 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 86
If you haven't skied here, I would say it is a must. Or at least stop and take a look in the lodge.....it's a museum of ski racing history!  Conditions this morning were excellent.  A little light drizzle mid-morning. Lots of race training going on.  Enjoy the pics!
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
IMG_6960.JPG
640 x 480 - 112K
IMG_6963.JPG
640 x 480 - 103K
IMG_6965.JPG
640 x 480 - 89K
IMG_6966.JPG
640 x 480 - 117K
IMG_6967.JPG
640 x 480 - 108K
IMG_6968.JPG
640 x 480 - 115K
IMG_6969.JPG
640 x 480 - 142K
IMG_6970(1).JPG
640 x 480 - 101K

Comments

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited February 11 Posts: 2,170
    Most excellent!!
    Great pictures of the lodge. I can recall the hill more than the lodge so thanks for the rememberence
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited February 12 Posts: 2,392
    Thanks for the pictures. It's always interested me and I know that there are a number of parts of the ski area which are abandoned.
    - Sam
  • VtSkierVtSkier novice

Cochran's is a gem of a ski area. Great place to teach your kids or grand kids to ski. Racing program is top notch.

It is also a great place to work. After my job was eliminated in January, I found myself unemployed. I saw on Facebook they were looking for lift operator help during the week so I inquired. Been working there part time during the week running the T-Bar and on occasion  the mighty mite ever since.  Jim and the rest of the staff have been fantastic!  The snow is holding up real well, and if you are looking for a small area to ski this season come on by for a fun day of skiing.

• bmwskierbmwskier expert
    Great to hear about VtSkier. Sorry about your job. Are you making a permanent move to the ski industry? 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • hrstrat57hrstrat57 intermediate
    Yep always been on my to ski list
  • VtSkierVtSkier novice

bmwskier - I wish I was making a permanent move to the ski industry,,, but not at this time.  Tomorrow 3/31 will be my last day there for this season. : (      

Big 'Thank Goodness for Snowmaking' race going on 3/31.

Next season... not sure what I'll be doing. Maybe I can work a day or two a week.

bmwskier - I wish I was making a permanent move to the ski industry,,, but not at this time.  Tomorrow 3/31 will be my last day there for this season. : (      

Big 'Thank Goodness for Snowmaking' race going on 3/31.

Next season... not sure what I'll be doing. Maybe I can work a day or two a week.

http://www.sugarbush.com/discover/employment/job-postings/
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    Wasn’t Cochran’s looking to extend their t-bar up higher past its current summit terminal and up to the old rope tow fed area?

Wasn’t Cochran’s looking to extend their t-bar up higher past its current summit terminal and up to the old rope tow fed area?

I don't know about that--- but from what I saw there would not be too much of a gain. I was only there for a few hours but what I saw was a decent sized flat area where the current T-bar ends before any more vertical though VTSkier would better speak to that. Even if there is more vert above, that flat area would just be a traverse anyways. 

Another good thing about Cochran's is I found a lot of double fall lines and such to make even their small trails really interesting. The community vibe, hand painted signs and encouragements really make it a special place to visit and ski. 
    Greg Stump
  • VtSkierVtSkier novice

The plan appears to be to extend the T-Bar up higher to the cleared out flat area past the current top of the lift, and to extend it down lower too. Going higher will extend trail I89 for racing and going lower will help those that take the race trail to not have to hike back up to the T-bar. The new rope is in the maintenance building.  I'll swing by sometime this summer and will give an update.

• newpylongnewpylong expert
    The terrain above the current terminus is flat as a board I can't see how that would be conducive to expand the racing venue. I do see an extension of Route 2 being a great novice slope up there though.
    Going downhill would make sense. It's a haul going up the steps and then over to the lift. I ended up taking the rope tow first!
    Greg Stump
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    They are extending up to the end of where it has been cleared- pitch is same or steeper than what is next to current unload and where they started the TGFS slalom. Base will go down to near the maintenance building. Same lift line. Lights going in on the looker's left trail, too.
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    newpylong said:

The terrain above the current terminus is flat as a board I can't see how that would be conducive to expand the racing venue. I do see an extension of Route 2 being a great novice slope up there though.

I hiked up above back in 2005, old rope tow was still up above the race hill, it's rope on the ground in the schwack. Rumor was Mickey deemed it too flat to work well, so it was abandoned. Seems neat if they are indeed extending it though! I grew up skiing there every Thursday night after school, the place holds a very special place in my heart!
    I always wish they would fire up the original rope tow from the house up to the lodge though, some nice pitch on that short back hill!
    D