Ridge T-bar at Belleayre

NELSAPNELSAP advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 368
Does anybody remember the T-bar that ran along the summit ridge at Belleayre to the top of what is now the Tomahawk? I'm just curious what brand it was.

1999 trail map that shows it

Comments

• newmannewman advanced
    I thought it was a rope tow.
    I believe the old t-bars at Belleayre were Borvigs. That sound about right?

IBRAKE
  • T_BoneT_Bone novice
    Don't know the manufacturer but remember riding this from where the triple drops you across the top ridge to near the current summit of the Tomahawk .  I wish they kept this in operation as It helped you avoid crossing flat terrain.  They also had another older t-bar near Seneca, I believe which went up the hill 2/3rds or so of the way to about where the slopes mellow out and change from black diamonds to blue squares.  Many traces and remains of the "Seneca" t-bar are still visible, or at least they were last season.   I do not believe that any traces of the summit crossing t-bar remain.  Many years back there was also a beginners area t-bar just below the main lodge, I believe.  Haven't been to Belleayre this year yet but am hoping to get there to ride the new gondola.
  • flbskiflbski intermediate
    The "Seneca" t-bar was a Roebling.  I enjoyed it in high school in the late 60s/70s.  And there was a t-bar and j-bar below the mid-lodge.
    There’s a Roebling t-bar alive and well at the Big Creek Ski Hill in Concord, OH. I don’t know of a single other model still functioning.

IBRAKE
  • rgrwilcorgrwilco novice
    I wish they would bring it back. That ridge is brutal.
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    rgrwilco said:

I wish they would bring it back. That ridge is brutal.

+1
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Any pics out there of the old lift in place on the ridge?

• ciscokidciscokid expert

There’s a Roebling t-bar alive and well at the Big Creek Ski Hill in Concord, OH. I don’t know of a single other model still functioning.

IBRAKE

Well get yourself there and post video riding it , or pics at least! ( no eclair required)
    Don't know about the tbar but New York's first chairlift was a beauty!image
    IMG_3659.JPG
    700 x 458 - 152K
    Sorry for hijacking, but was that chair in the late '40s a Roebling?
    Oh is that gorgeous!image
    IMG_3660.JPG
    672 x 372 - 69K
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Nothing about the ridge T, but some great old pics on The Coalition to save Belleayre The other T is shown.

Also, some neat old articles HERE

I first went to Belleayre in 2007, the first year of the Superchief Express so I never knew the T's.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    edited February 7 Posts: 2,246
    Wow thanks for The link to the coalition JMaul, never saw that! Never saw Rocky Mountain 1951 skiing paper

Hey Belleayre is where Dr Lane (Bearpen/ Princeton) got his inspiration so I guess it is my favorite state owned ski area even though I have never skied it before
    That t-bar is definitely a Roebling with spring box t’s rather than telescoping masts.
    Now that I think about it the summit T was probably the same make. It wouldn’t hurt to reintroduce a contemporary surface lift to aid in skier traversing the top of the ridge.