The tide is turning for former lost areas

NELSAPNELSAP advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 183
Just and observation and summary - isn't it great to see former lost areas on the path to restoration in the last 15 years? (some of these areas haven't been lost for quite a long time)

1. Big Squaw - see the post on snowmaking and grooming, and efforts to get a new summit lift
2. Whaleback - putting in the T-bar to ensure something can be open if mother nature doesn't cooperate
3. Ascutney - new rope + plans to install a T-bar and increase vertical drop to 800'
4. Magic - snowmaking improvements and restored double chair to mid mountain
5. Dutch Hill - trails being cleared for non-lift served winter recreation
6. Hogback - one slope a year cleared for habitat restoration and winter recreational use
7. Mt. Eustis - reopened with a new rope tow a few years ago
8. Mittersill - double chair to the top and new T-bar (I know this one can be controversial )
9. Crotched reopening and getting a HSQ
10. Granite Gorge reopening from ashes of Pinnacle
11. Tenney on the steps to something
12. Snow's Mtn in Waterville open once a season for passholders
13. Ski Bowl at Gore reopened with two triples and new nordic center

Now...if we could just get back Maple Valley, Brodie, and a few others...

Plus...Ski Blandford saved by Butternut!

Comments

• slathamslatham advanced
    Good news for sure. Thanks for the list - hadn't fully appreciated all the areas making a comeback.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Oak Mt, NY. Great comeback under new owners. Had been closed for a bit

Add Hickory to the " I hope they come back" list
  • newmannewman advanced
    Was Haystack closed before in became Hermitage?
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    You can probably add Powder Ridge/Hill, CT
  • JimKJimK advanced
    edited October 29 Posts: 222
    Laurel Mtn, PA is back and very nice: http://www.dcski.com/articles/1507

Don't forget about High Pond
    - Sam
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    There's so many good stories I forgot them - thanks for the additions!

A lot of this wasn't imaginable 15 years ago...

Also Norwich Univ. for mountain biking
    Highlands in NH for mountain biking

JD
    NELSAP said:

There's so many good stories I forgot them - thanks for the additions!

A lot of this wasn't imaginable 15 years ago...

Also Norwich Univ. for mountain biking
    Highlands in NH for mountain biking

JD

Snow's Mountain also has scenic lift rides, doc golf, and mountain biking.
    - Sam
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    newman said:

Was Haystack closed before in became Hermitage?

Yes, twice. Once in the early 80's and then before Hermitage, 2005-9 or so
  • 4aprice4aprice intermediate
    There is nothing wrong with the "the feeder or community hill" and hopefully some can keep the cost's down and get people into the sport again. 

The list is cool, however, Gore and Mittersill are state run (not that its necessarily bad, but that funding is probably more secure) and incorporated into much larger complex's.   Crotched was a true come back,  successful enough to catch Peak's eye.  

The guy's at Magic and Whaleback appear to be doing an awesome job, and hopefully Tenney can join them. When we were a young family we enjoyed going to places like that.  Keep it simple and somewhat cheap sounds like good alternative to the "big boys'and a winning formula.  The Freedom Pass is also  good buy IMO.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ  

• obienickobienick expert
    I agree with costs. They are a major concern and will fully kill off the sport. The sport is already struggling with the high barrier to entry (equipment AND skills). People will now see $175 as the day ticket price at Vail-owned results and will simply balk at those prices. Sure savy and experienced skiers will know to seek out pre-ordered online deals. But not everyone has the ability to not only plan their schedule a week out, but to be willing to put the money down with no refunds if something happens.

I think community and feeder areas with thrive in coming years, but only if they can convince locals that the Vail prices are not throughout the industry.

Magic has for the most part been playing with the big-ish boys on pricing, but even with the planned upgrades for this year, they won't be offering a comparable skiing product to the average skier.
    I've said it many times on SJ over the years: Skiing has always been an expensive sport.  But equipment is priced "killer" only if you buy new and buy retail.  Lift tickets are expensive if one chooses to ski only the biggest areas on peak days without coupons, BOGOs or other special deals.

My sense is that what's killing the industry:
    1. Lack of feeder areas.
    Reasons:
    a. High insurance costs for small areas
    b. Absense of water at what are now NELSAP areas
    2. Competition for the winter sports dollar:
    The industry is in direct competition for the winter sports dollar with all of the following with which we did not compete 50 years ago:
    a. Indoor swimming
    b. Indoor tennis
    c. Growth of XC skiing
    d. Growth of the snowmobile industry
    e. Video games
    f. Indoor gyms/health centers
    g. etc.

One other change: There aren't the opportunities for the "poor" to ski that there were years ago, such as cutting pucker brush, stapling tickets, etc.
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    Gee... forgot one ;-}  Aren't we all waiting with baited breath for the Wilderness Renaissance of the Balsams. Guess they are pushing the Real Estate aspects more than the ski area for now. 
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    I'm skeptical about any of that happening.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited October 30 Posts: 1,740
    I'd say it's still low tide (or high tide depending on your viewpoint) at the Balsams. Still not listed on NELSAP even though it has been closed since 9/2011.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    NELSBEER said:

Gee... forgot one ;-}  Aren't we all waiting with baited breath for the Wilderness Renaissance of the Balsams. Guess they are pushing the Real Estate aspects more than the ski area for now. 

Yeah - and there's Saddleback, too.
  • obienickobienick expert
    Balsams has sold quite a few units over the past 2 months.  They are very close to the minimum sold requirement set by their lender. 
  • njskibabenjskibabe intermediate

Need to bring back these in New York:

Bearpen Mountain

Cortina Valley

Dutchess

Silver Mine

Tuxedo Ridge (Sterling Forest)

• bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    Prospect Mountain, Vermont, reopened as a nordic area after downhill skiing closed there in the mid-1990s.

Woody
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    There are great articles in the winter edition of Vermont Life about Magic Mountain's efforts and Burke Mountain surviving the Q storm. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump