Eastern Snowmaking Fall 2017

Comments

• TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    The Killington Superstar and North Ridge cams show most of the snow they made is gone. This speaks to the importance of the long range (10 days is about as good as it gets) forecast. If it isn't good, the money spent on snowmaking may be wasted, except for PR. 
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    TomWhite said:

The Killington Superstar and North Ridge cams show most of the snow they made is gone. This speaks to the importance of the long range (10 days is about as good as it gets) forecast. If it isn't good, the money spent on snowmaking may be wasted, except for PR. 

This is better: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/

60 and windy right now...below freezing tonight, so maybe things get going in earnest soon
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    Full output on North Ridge and Superstar likely T2B Tuesday afternoon on when temps fall.
    newpylong said:

Full output on North Ridge and Superstar likely T2B Tuesday afternoon on when temps fall.

will be an impressive sight!
  • obienickobienick expert
    6-10 day outlook is good as well!
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    10PM Fri. and they're back at it on Superstar and the north ridge trails!
    I wonder if Sunday River is blowing as well
    - Sam
    SS has guns to the top of the lower pitch this morning. Go go go!
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Obergatlinburg has a substantial pile on their tubing venue.
    Killington tried the fan guns for a bit, but temps are causing them to shut off some. End of the week it should be a blizzard
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    It looks as though the temperature is finally going to cooperate for an extended period of time starting Tuesday. The early opening areas should be up and running for next weekend if not earlier. To that note all the areas that intend to open this month should take advantage of this cold spell and get as much snow made as possible only because our weather has been so fickle this Fall. Make snow on the higher elevations and get the corresponding lifts running and if they have to, shuttle the people to and from those areas with a top to bottom lift. Just a heads up if any of them read these post.
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    I just checked Stowe's forecast, Highs of -2 F on Friday at the summit. A little too cold, but good early season snowmaking production windows.
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    What are the chances for Mt Snow to be opened this weekend?

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

Kilington has lost most of the North Ridge and upper Superstar snowmaking and all of the Superstar snowmaking on the flats.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Again!!
    NWS's 3400' forecast showing constant snowmaking window midnight thru Thu AM.
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Things are looking real good mid-late week and into the weekend! JD
    Question for the ops folk here:  Killington has long hoses attached to their guns. They also have a lot of hydrants.  Why not "double-stack" the guns so two guns put snow in the same spot, thereby minimizing any melting? More pushing out would be needed later, as you're basically creating larger whales.  But at this time of the year when there's a lot of variable weather wouldn't it minimize snow losses?
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    edited November 6 Posts: 564
    Yes, larger piles will last longer. Many places make them when they can and takes bites out when they need it. The only purpose of laying down distance vs density at this point is to have something still down when you can run again. I personally think they've needlessly blown money they will not recover up to this point but that corner office must be getting awefully hot.
    Sunday River is planning on opening this weekend! http://sundayriver.com/winter/mountain-report
    I imagine Killington will follow suit.
    - Sam
  • slathamslatham advanced
    Lots of areas have a legit shot at this weekend if they are aggressive. Mt Snow is one to watch with all the new water and low-e guns. I also bet they hit the North Face much earlier than in the past. Maybe simultaneously with front side at start?
    Guns are blazing on the top and bottom of Superstar as well as North Ridge this morning. Still no announcement about opening
    - Sam

Guns are blazing on the top and bottom of Superstar as well as North Ridge this morning. Still no announcement about opening

I would guess they'd be able to open, snow-wise, on NR by the weekend, given the forecast.
  • RemskiRemski advanced

I would guess they'd be able to open, snow-wise, on NR by the weekend, given the forecast.
    From pass history I predict Thursday, they and Sunday River will open.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Stowe and Sunday River are blasting away also.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Remski said:

From pass history I predict Thursday, they and Sunday River will open.
    I agree with remski.  They are even running guns on Lower Superstar as of this AM's (11/7) webcam.
    Sugarbush has all of Elbow and Rim Run at Mt Ellen lit up this morning, as well as Jester and Organgrinder at Lincoln Peak.
    Killington is out of air.  They are making snow above Preston's Pitch and from the fan guns.  The air/water guns along the pitch are off.
    obienick said:

Killington is out of air.  They are making snow above Preston's Pitch and from the fan guns.  The air/water guns along the pitch are off.

pretty marginal temps right now- should get on track by tomorrow night. Thursday into weekend look great
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    Sugarloaf, Smugglers Notch and Wildcat are also making snow. Wildcat has announced an opening day of 11/11.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.