Ski Magazine's 2017 List of the top 20 Areas in the East

joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,875
My list would (in no particular order) remove Holiday Valley and Wachusett and substitute Gore and Hunter.  

I would have Killington, Whiteface and Sunday River much higher and Mt. Snow, Okemo and Bretton Woods much lower.  While I personally do not enjoy Stowe, IMO it should be higher.  Smugglers' is a great area, but I'd downgrade it a few places because of its antiquated lift system.

Your thoughts?

1. Smugglers' Notch
2. Sugarbush
3. Mt. Snow
4. Mt. Tremblant
5. Jay Peak
6. Mad River Glen
7. Sugarloaf
8. Stowe
9. Okemo
10. Loon Mtn.
11. Bretton Woods
12. Killington
13. Whiteface Mtn.
14. Sunday River
15. Stratton
16. Holiday Valley
17. Waterville Valley
18. Cannon Mtn.
19. Wildcat
20. Wachusett

Comments

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    I can't believe Joshua is endorsing NY, the other New England. Boy how times have changed☮️⛷⛷⛷
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    edited October 1 Posts: 1,875
    ciscokid said:

I can't believe Joshua is endorsing NY, the other New England. Boy how times have changed☮️⛷⛷⛷

Remember: It is I who hosts the Lost NY web-site!  

And the Ski Magazine list on which I am commenting, is an "East" list - not a New England one!

BTW: I always think that the Ski Magazine short-changes the mid-west.  Although for the most part, not national/international destination resorts, they provide great day-trip products as well as a place for regional weekenders.  I suspect that some of the UP areas offer a product comparable to Holiday Valley.

ciscokid said:

And the Ski Magazine list on which I am commenting, is an "East" list - not a New England one!

BTW: I always think that the Ski Magazine short-changes the mid-west.  Although for the most part, not national/international destination resorts, they provide great day-trip products as well as a place for regional weekenders.  I suspect that some of the UP areas offer a product comparable to Holiday Valley.

Yes you know I am just kidding

After I get done with Bohemia we will see how it ranks, you may even be challenged there Josh

Yes thank you for carrying on Russ's startup

• bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    I love the fact that MRG ranked higher than Stowe. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    bmwskier said:

I love the fact that MRG ranked higher than Stowe. 

As much as I like it too, I can't in all honesty say that it is true.
  • slathamslatham advanced
    I too would alter this list. But what I (we) don't know is what are the key factors and their weights? And I think we SJ'ers all focus on the on-snow skiing experience, whereas the rankings likely take affordability, access, lodging, kids programs etc into account, possibly to a large extent. It would be interesting and helpful to know more about the methodology. But as far as ski area "lists" go, the one's we've put together here are the real deal, for us at least.
    edited October 1 Posts: 1,590
    ciscokid said:

ciscokid said:

Yes you know I am just kidding

After I get done with Bohemia we will see how it ranks, you may even be challenged there Josh

Yes thank you for carrying on Russ's startup

This is pretty good company

Hopefully last years crappy forecast which ( sorry JD) holds true this year, I golfed in Feb

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2016/09/07/the-10-north-american-ski-resorts-to-hit-this-season-2016-2017/
    I like this year's list more than previous ones. I think Smuggs deserves to be number 1 and I'm also glad to see MRG ranked so high.
    - Sam
    Long live the old fixed Halls
  • obienickobienick expert
    Usually Wintergreen somehow ends up on these lists.
  • skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    obienick said:

Usually Wintergreen somehow ends up on these lists.

No, the Southeast does not exist as far as SKI is concerned.  I guess that I'm just imagining those 100+ days in a row that I put in. 
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Didn't Snowshoe show up once or twice in the 00's?  Not sure.

I thought the list was a refreshing change.   A lot of subjective stuff goes into it, there's really no way to pin it down and say that "It is herewith decreed that such and such is the best ski area"  because it's different for everybody.   Most of us, if not all, can agree that Cannon beats Holiday Valley, but their readership votes one way or they consult an 8 ball or whatever.     So I don't take it too seriously, I think it's just fun to read what they have to say.   

Although I will say they ought to publish some sort of midwest and southeast lists.  Might help stave off the publication's  inevitable demise.
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited October 2 Posts: 973
    Maybe it was Snowshoe. I do recall some southern area routinely getting on the lists in that era.

The lists are maningless anyways. It's all about advertising dollars.
    obienick said:

Maybe it was Snowshoe. I do recall some southern area routinely getting on the lists in that era.

I agree and that's why I like Liftopia's list better.
    - Sam

obienick said:

Could you post the Liftopia list?  That's not the one that had Magic Mtn. rated first.  Is it?

obienick said:

Could you post the Liftopia list?  That's not the one that had Magic Mtn. rated first.  Is it?

https://bestinsnow.liftopia.com/#/
    - Sam
    How bout Skyward at Whiteface?#7 in world
    Who has skied it?

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/worlds-best-ski-runs/index.html
    ciscokid said:

How bout Skyward at Whiteface?#7 in world
    Who has skied it?

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/worlds-best-ski-runs/index.html

I can't take that list seriously because number one is a terrain park.
    - Sam

obienick said:

https://bestinsnow.liftopia.com/#/
    Ski Magazine's list is sane compared with that list.  Magic, to be sure, is a great area with great terrain.  But in its current condition it certainly is not better than MRG and it probably doesn't deserve to be on a top 20 list, much less, #1.

I haven't skied Skyward in about 45 years.  It's a wonderful trail - but I understand it was widened for the Olympics and with snowmaking and grooming, it's probably not as exciting as it once was.
  • ADKskierADKskier advanced
    edited October 3 Posts: 270
    Russ start up, it was mine first with Lsainy, if anyone remembers that. Russ colaberated me and created a nice site.
    ~Rich~
    Holiday Valley needs to go
    ~Rich~
    ADKskier said:

Russ start up, it was mine first with Lsainy, if anyone remembers that. Russ colaberated me and created a nice site.

ADKskier said:

Wow I didn't know that, so you started Lost ski areas of NY before Russ?(That NYguy)

I know Joshua runs it now and updates

So here I was giving Russ all the credit and you are the original creator?
    I joined SJ 1.0 in 2006, I don't remember lsainy
    edited October 3 Posts: 1,875
    ADKskier said:

Russ start up, it was mine first with Lsainy, if anyone remembers that. Russ collaborated me and created a nice site.

Really?  When Russ tossed it over the fence about a decade ago, he mentioned that he worked with someone else.  I had no idea it was you!  And before he gave it to me, he mentioned that he thought someone else was supposed to take it over.

Never heard the alias "Lsainy" before.
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    edited October 3 Posts: 259
    obienick said:

^^ THIS ^^

Smuggs' has graciously given me a free subscription to SKI for the last 6 or so years for being a timeshare owner. I am sure the other 5k or so owners are getting the mag free as well.

Look at Deer Valley and their 30 page ad. Where do they stand?

Whistler Blackcomb for many years has had multi-page ads. Where are they in the list?
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • z1000307470z1000307470 advanced
    The idea that Holiday with its 500 vertical chairs stretched out over a ridge and 110 acre Wachusett are ranked in the top 20 and  Gore is left off again, shows this list to be only a popularity contest. Other areas that could break into the 20 ahead of Holiday and Wachusett besides Gore and the already mentioned Hunter -  Pico, Burke,  Mt St Anne, Le Massif, Orford, and Sutton. Although not worthy of the top 20, I would even say Windham, Bromley,  Bolton, Magic, and and Owl's Head are all better than Holiday and Wachusett.
    Here is a simple test - if you are driving 4 hours, which would you choose: Holiday Valley or Gore? If you choose HV over Gore, skiing is just not important to you.
    edited October 3 Posts: 1,590
    Yeah I do not buy ski magazine anymore it's been a while but like everyone says it's just a popularity contest

JMaul so why do we not get invitations to this timeshare be I am born and raised in New Jersey I should be grandfathered in what's the matter for you
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    Full disclosure-- I grew up at Holiday Valley, followed in my father's footsteps as a patroller as did my late brother and my mother was the patrol historian. With all of that-- I agree that HV should not be ranked with any of the other areas. 

In a perfect world, there should be several lists-- base areas, ski lessons and night life can be compared to other areas in the East but there should be multiple categories for actual skiing-- say one for areas under 1200' of height and then one for areas larger than that minimum. That way there won't be a comparison between HV and Pico, MRG et al that has to do with skiing and it will level the playing field a bit. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    Aren't all the SKI ratings popularity contests? I thought they were based on reader surveys, though I have not read the article yet, so I don't know. Wachusett is an hour's drive or less from the four largest cities in New England so it does get lots of people, enough so that it draws Yogi Berra's attributed line -"Nobody goes there. It's too crowded.".
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    ciscokid said:

JMaul so why do we not get invitations to this timeshare be I am born and raised in New Jersey I should be grandfathered in what's the matter for you

My wife says she don't like you..... \:D/
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    ADKskier said:

ADKskier said:

Wow I didn't know that, so you started Lost ski areas of NY before Russ?(That NYguy)

I know Joshua runs it now and updates

So here I was giving Russ all the credit and you are the original creator?
    I joined SJ 1.0 in 2006, I don't remember lsainy
    Not much left, but here is the archive of the old site.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010101000000*/http://lsainy.wo.to/
    ~Rich~