Saddleback aims to open

Comments

• mapnutmapnut expert
    Not sure whether the WCSH article is verifying NESI's reporting, or just quoting it.
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,115

obienick said:

Last I heard they are very close to having the minimum units sold to unlock the non-state financing.
    I heard they surpassed it.
    I can now confirm they have surpassed the bank-imposed minimum.
  • k2travk2trav novice
    Was there at 2pm today.

• mapnutmapnut expert
    I wish one of these reporters would verify, or not, NESI's claim that Majella hasn't paid taxes on their Portland property. It can't be that hard.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    mapnut said:

I wish one of these reporters would verify, or not, NESI's claim that Majella hasn't paid taxes on their Portland property. It can't be that hard.

It has been verified that there were tax liens on the Majella Group's Portland property.  I do not know the current status, but some of the past liens were paid, albeit late.
  • powderstudpowderstud intermediate
    Would it be in poor taste to take predictions for how many weeks it will be before the official announcement of the Majella deal termination?

(My prediction is the announcement will come by 1/31/2018.)
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    It's now closing in on three years of non operation at Saddleback. I think it's RIP Saddleback, nice skiing you 1989-2015.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    Sad.
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    Ugh. Really wishing I could have skiied there w/ lift access. Maybe some year soon it will go again, but if not, I hope to at least make it up there to skin/ ski it!
    D
    Hopefully equipment doesn't start to be sold off, because that's likely the end of Saddleback. I'm hoping the non for profit group can rescue the place.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

Has anyone heard anything about Saddleback?  It's hard to be optimistic that the Majella deal will happen.  And then if it does, what this whole process has made clear is that they're not a deep pocket, which means that it's only a matter of time before they run into trouble.  Rinse and repeat.
    The Berrys seem to have put all their eggs in the Majella basket and the deal is going no where - delay after delay, with no resolution in sight.  Unfortunate, but if I were a betting man (and I'm not), I seriously doubt that Saddleback will ever function as a ski area again.
    Joshua, thanks for that posting.  If I may ask, is there some sort of personality conflict between the Berrys and the people behind the non-profit group trying to acquire Saddleback?  The information in the public domain suggests that there is something more than disagreement about $$$ preventing a deal from getting done. 

One thing's for sure:  If it really is about maximizing $$$, then the Berrys are mis-playing their hand, because the longer Saddleback goes idle, the less value it has.  Given the options on the table, it seems (from imperfect information) that they are compounding their mistakes.

I wonder if the Berrys failed in their due diligence on Majella, or if they simply were desperate and would have struck a deal with any for-profit buyer no matter how limited their resources.
  • pagamonypagamony advanced

The Berrys seem to have put all their eggs in the Majella basket and the deal is going no where - delay after delay, with no resolution in sight.  Unfortunate, but if I were a betting man (and I'm not), I seriously doubt that Saddleback will ever function as a ski area again.

It seems that way and that is very frustrating. I was there in April about 10 years ago, the snow was deep, lifts were running, skiers were friendly, and cars filled the lots with some along the access road. It was fabulous. I know... costs, insurance, options, yada yada, but man what a wonderful place.  State of Maine - make this a park !!  

• ski_itski_it expert
    I hear ya Pagamony except that last line will be a tough slog. The other non profits up there are already up against it. Maine Winter Sports Center now called OSI and others already have perpetual funding issues. Unfortunately it may be time to rename this thread.
    :(
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Where into February with no update on Sugarloaf Today since 1/12. When does Saddleback go on NELSAP?

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited February 3 Posts: 2,177
    Well I'm thinking the people that run that site are in no hurry to write places off. Not sure what the exact criteria are but you'll see the Balsams is not on there and Tenney is on the list as open.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Boy that Rangely center pole lattice '63 Mueller "was" a beauty!

And correct me if my memory failed once again but wasn't the famous eclair tbar escapade at Saddle?( and who were the two stars of that show?)imageimage
    IMG_3590.JPG
    800 x 604 - 113K
    IMG_3589.JPG
    800 x 522 - 125K
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    ciscokid said:

Boy that Rangely center pole lattice '63 Mueller "was" a beauty!

And correct me if my memory failed once again but wasn't the famous eclair tbar escapade at Saddle?( and who were the two stars of that show?)

Sledhauler and I were involved in eclair tbar incident. Sled did the deed while I documented. I think those pics were in SJ1.0, not sure if I still have them at this point.
    It seems that Saddleback is still under contract and some employees are still being paid. It's looking like we will be into year three of no operations as I doubt they will open with the season mostly over.

The website is gone, with a re-direct to Majella. Put a fork in this place.

sugarloaf said:

It seems that Saddleback is still under contract and some employees are still being paid. It's looking like we will be into year three of no operations as I doubt they will open with the season mostly over.

As far as I know, the few employees are for the most part, being paid from the condo fees associated with plowing and trash pick-up.
  • JimKJimK advanced
    Hopefully, the coop group can re-emerge as a steward to restore and reopen this beautiful ski area.
  • loafasaurloafasaur intermediate
    The website is back up.  It does make it appear that Saddleback isn't a front-burner matter for Majella, though.  Who turns a lift first, SB or Balsams?
    edited March 17 Posts: 988
    loafasaur said:

The website is back up.  It does make it appear that Saddleback isn't a front-burner matter for Majella, though.  Who turns a lift first, SB or Balsams?

Its not up when I tried it, still a Majella re-direct.

• TomWhiteTomWhite expert
    Below is entry on Liftblog.com. The new broadcast suggests that Majella isn't interested in opening Saddleback.

The Australian man who was supposed to buy
    Maine’s third largest ski resort is
    caught on tape saying, “We’re not going to deliver on
    Saddleback,”  “Opening the mountain is not a primary concern for us,”
    and  “We’re not going to lose any sleep with regards to it,” acknowledging
    it was mostly about cashing in on the EB-5 immigrant investor program.

Below is the link to the TV news broadcast.

http://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/local/now/australian-ceo-on-tape-i-wont-lose-any-sleep-if-saddleback-doesnt-open/97-528149662

Here are a few additional snippets on SB:
    IMO, less than 5% chance that SB will ever operate again as skin area.  My sources indicate that buyers (many of the major skiing corps) are lined to buy the South Branch and Kennabago lifts.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Looks grim...still
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Such a terrible waste of such a beautiful mountain
    Shows just how great a job the new Tenney owners did to get it runningimage
    IMG_4162.JPG
    800 x 383 - 41K