Saddleback

Comments

• davedave novice
    February 2015 was so cold that the frost got under the Cupsuptic's drive terminal footings and heaved the whole thing. They made a temporary fix to get it back online -- which involved cutting, bending, and re-welding portions of the terminal superstructure. That spring/summer they started excavating for a more permanent fix, but that never proceeded further. Three months ago the loading area was still just a big hole in the ground. I'm not aware of any problems with the towers, but it wouldn't surprise me.
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    edited July 10 Posts: 567
    If you're going to replace the terminals on a surface lift you're going to replace the 55 year old towers. You're also going to use new carriers.
    Oh, wow. :-O :-O :-O

Makes complete sense now. That t-bar really does need to be replaced.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Welcome to SJ Dave.

Can I assume you are associated with Saddleback?

I may have mis-spoken in not recognizing the difference between terminal and tower.  What you described above is consistent with what I know.  I just used the wrong terminology.  That lift also had a sever noise problem and I hope whoever the lift attendant was (probably Batman), that he had been provided ear protection.
    The noise caused by the moving reducing gears from the electric motor powering the Hall is deafeningly loud. Perhaps the resonance from the noise caused further vibrations throughout the superstructure that somehow couldn't be dampened, only amplifying the problem. I have yet to experience a quiet Hall t-bar. Even at the summit the rollback prevention system makes echoing clacks. 
  • davedave novice
    Welcome to SJ Dave.

Thanks, Joshua. But I'm just a customer. (Or was. And/or will be. Or whatever.) And among the last to ever ride that lift, closing weekend 2015. :-(
    dave said:

Welcome to SJ Dave.

Thanks, Joshua. But I'm just a customer. (Or was. And/or will be. Or whatever.) And among the last to ever ride that lift, closing weekend 2015. :-(
    Were you part of SMF or are you a condo owner?
  • ME2VTskierME2VTskier advanced
    dave said:

February 2015 was so cold that the frost got under the Cupsuptic's drive terminal footings and heaved the whole thing. They made a temporary fix to get it back online -- which involved cutting, bending, and re-welding portions of the terminal superstructure. That spring/summer they started excavating for a more permanent fix, but that never proceeded further. Three months ago the loading area was still just a big hole in the ground. I'm not aware of any problems with the towers, but it wouldn't surprise me.

There are pictures...

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=587
    Yep. That poor t-bar is toast.

At least a new t-bar is replacing it!
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    Cupsuptic was running on closing day, April 18th 2015, I rode on the lift.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

sugarloaf said:

Cupsuptic was running on closing day, April 18th 2015, I rode on the lift.

Yes it was, but it was held together with the most temporary of fixes.  It's like operating a car the last month before it's due for inspection knowing that the car is uninspectable, but one drives it anyhow.
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    A Portland radio station is saying, the feds have committed $530k to improve the Rangeley airport. I have no idea if it is a year round airport but this is nice for the area.
    TomWhite said:

A Portland radio station is saying, the feds have committed $530k to improve the Rangeley airport. I have no idea if it is a year round airport but this is nice for the area.

The airport is more of a local landing strip.  There are no commercial flights associated with the airport.  There is no air traffic controller or any of the amenities you'd associate with a commercial airport.
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    TomWhite said:

Qantas A380's will be landing there  ;))
    In a world of scams, it was nice to hear that Saddleback Mountain Foundation (the not-for-profit that tried to buy Saddleback) has refunded all funds received that were not specifically a donation.  Three anonymous donors put up $100K each knowing that if SMF didn't get the area, the donors might never see a dime.  That's the money that was used for all the legal and administrative stuff that went on for the 1.5 years that this dragged on.
    In the continuing saga of Saddleback, I heard from one of the Rangeley locals that SB personnel have been on the mountain inspecting and testing the snow making system, which has been idle for 2-seasons.

However, to date, there is no new activity on the ground (other than the stakes that were placed last spring) to give one a warm-fuzzy, that a Rangeley replacement (or Cupsuptic replacement) will be available on time for this season.  My source did tell me that the lift has been fully designed and approved, so it's about pouring tower foundations, acquiring and installing the lift.

Conflicting reports from two knowledgeable industry sources: one says that it still can be done in time for the season. The other says, "no."
    edited August 17 Posts: 567
    If the engineering is completed, lift components are readily available and Dopp has the crew availbility, it can be done without question - but time is running out. Short of a PR release the tell tale sign is Tramway board approval for the concrete design, and maybe even the entire lift if they've gotten to 100% design on the whole package.

For rough late starting comparison, the Green Peak relocation began in early September of last year and opened in early February.

For the long term, having new lifts as the replacements is
    excellent. With limited knowledge of their situation, I sent SB an email. Below
    is part of it. Their staff person thanked me and he passed it on without
    further details.

Installing an existing
    lift that is available is an alternative. The 1991 quad chair at Val neigette,
    Quebec is about 375 mi. to your north. Its length is suitable to replace the
    Cupsuptic. Much would have to be added for it to replace the Rangeley. It is
    not too old, it may be an alternative replacement for the Cupsuptic.

What ever happened with the T-bar that Saddleback bought from Camden and then put in storage? Could that be used to replace the Cupsuptic?
    - Sam
    Just as old
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    edited August 17 Posts: 823

Did I hear years ago that they had in mind that T-bar for a trail expansion into the West Basin? Maybe they can make a Frankenlift. But the Camden T-bar must have been short.

Must have been "A", the Little T-bar", 1100 feet. https://skimap.org/data/452/916/1335455524.jpg

newpylong said:

Just as old

It is, but the fact that they bought it from Camden must mean it would be operable.
    mapnut said:

Did I hear years ago that they had in mind that T-bar for a trail expansion into the West Basin? Maybe they can make a Frankenlift. But the Camden T-bar must have been short.

Must have been "A", the Little T-bar", 1100 feet. https://skimap.org/data/452/916/1335455524.jpg

No, it was "D. Big T-Bar", which means that it is more than long enough.
    - Sam
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited August 17 Posts: 942
    My understanding it was the Big T-Bar that was bought by SB. 3740' x 761'.
    obienick said:

My understanding it was the Big T-Bar that was bought by SB. 3740' x 761'.

It was
    - Sam
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Oh, so it must have been a recent purchase. But it is old; I rode it in 1977.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited August 20 Posts: 1,742
    I don't recall the exact length but that Camden Tbar seemed to me one of the longer rides I've ever taken. A very comfortable ride too.
    Ok I just had to look it up on NESH and it says the Big T was 3740 long 761 vertical shipped to SB fall 2014. New for1966-67 season.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    The SMF in doing "due diligence" when they thought they would get it (before it was sold to the Aussies) looked into using the Camden T-Bar and concluded that it was not a quick, cheap or good way to attack the short term problem.
  • ME2VTskierME2VTskier advanced
    edited August 20 Posts: 108
    If you're building for long term, and you don't want to go back and re-do it later, why would you not put in a modern T like Mittersill/Burke? I'm not usually against re-using older equipment in decent condition but a new T should take them down the road probably longer than most of us will ever be able to ski. Especially since it could be considered a "base area" lift with complete access to all the upper areas via the Kennebago .

Still scratching my head on the Rangley replacement. I understand the arguments for each distinct style of lift, but without knowing the limitatations or budget...

Still scratching my head on the Rangley replacement. I understand the arguments for each distinct style of lift, but without knowing the limitatations or budget...

Did we ever learn what the problem is with the Rangeley double, why the Berrys said/believe it can't be used?
    Flash.  If you check real estate records for the Rangeley region, you will discover that papers have not passed on the Saddleback deal.  That's probably why we're not seeing any significant progress on the ground.