Crotched Mountain 2017-2018

joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
edited May 16 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,802
As the last 2016-17 patch of snow melts away, it's time to start the thread for next season.

So let's start with the cast of SJ characters who are season pass regulars at CM (list is alphabetical):
becca_m
iskivt
joshua_segal
nelsbeer
quietman
remski
ski_it
tedede
thebigo
xwhaler

Who did I miss?

Comments

• becca_mbecca_m advanced

me!   Becca_M

:)

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    becca_m said:

me!   Becca_M

:)

For some reason, I thought we lost you to Ragged! I edited you in above,
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    I have next season's Peaks Pass, and only live 30 miles from Crotched, so I'll certainly be there a bunch next season. Boyne pass refugee.  
    edited May 17 Posts: 115
    WELLLLL, I have a midweek CM/peak pass (I try to get there 1 nite/week & snow days  :)  

Weekends I'm at Cannon &/or  Ragged   :)      ...mostly

• yardsaleyardsale intermediate
    Not so regular, but made it 4x to CM in 16/17 with my Peak Pass.
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    There is a little bonus at Crotched with the Peak Passes, the Black Out days on the less expensive passes (Ranger & Traveler) do not apply at Crotched. Why? many Crotched regulars go to bigger resorts (Mt. Snow, Attitash, Wildcat & Hunter) for holidays like Xmas, MLK and the like leaving Crotched way less crowded than normal. See the pass you have for details.

Maybe we can have an ad hoc NELSAP vertical challenge one of those days?

This year they also threw the weekday passes open for weekends the last several weeks of the season, crowds had thinned so why not let everyone enjoy the rest of the season.
    edited May 18 Posts: 115
    Last year they also had a Saturday (not sure what month) they threw open to weekday pass holders.   End of season weekends at Wildcat was terrific (for midweek passholders).  
    edited May 20 Posts: 259
    Today the crew was out replacing the railing around the deck on the ATC (Alpine Training Center), new one looks nice. Maybe they will get a Beer/Wine license for that area next year, it would be a great umbrella bar.

Don't get excited yet, but a little snow fell on upper Crotched earlier in the week. Rain at the bottom. No ski tracks spotted.
    I volunteered today at Crotched Mountain's 100 Mile Bike Race.  It seemed like a nice turnout.  There appeared to be about 200 participants.  While I've been  on the mountain a lot this summer, this was the first time I had been  in the main lodge since the end of ski season.  A few logistical changes were made that should improve traffic flow: Group sales moved to where ski school had been.  Ski school is moving into the shop area next to Radicals and a few other things are being juggled around.  The deck area by the ATC  has been greatly improved. (I think Nelsbeer mentioned that already.)  There has been some mowing on the mountain enabling one to hike without getting covered in ticks.  

With about 80 days until Killington turns on their snowguns, it's time to start "thinking snow".
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    I never stop thinking SNOW ❄️.
    edited August 21 Posts: 259
    Joshua, missed you at the bike event... I was at one of the food stops providing moral and medical support to riders. Lot's of cuts and scrapes but nothing serious. The event looked really well organized at the base and on the trails. I have to concur that the trail cutting for the event really opened up the walking potential of the hill. The wild flowers are really rampant this time of year with the colors we will be seeing on the trees in a few weeks. The hill is always open for walking off season with great views of fall color, free parking and no crowds. Take along your tennis racket bug zapper for maximum enjoyment, best 5 bucks you can spend to make a dusk walk enjoyable.

Speaking of snow, for those with Peak passes, you may be sliding earlier than usual. Mount Snow finished up the piping/ permitting and started the filling process for West Lake (the new 130 million gallon 'pond') last week by drawing from Snow Lake. They expect to have  it full in a few weeks.  6 days ago the progress video on the website said 100 days until opening day which would put it about Thanksgiving weekend. One of the blogs mentioned that they could open with 7 - 9 trails including a North Face one rather than the usual 3 - 5.  Mount Snow doesn't have the mid-mountain loading that Kmart has so this would be top to bottom & they reduced the trail names/count a few years ago to make reports more honest.   

edited August 21 Posts: 1,802
    NELSBEER said:

Joshua, missed you at the bike event... I was at one of the food stops providing moral and medical support to riders. Lot's of cuts and scrapes but nothing serious. The event looked really well organized at the base and on the trails. I have to concur that the trail cutting for the event really opened up the walking potential of the hill. The wild flowers are really rampant this time of year with the colors we will be seeing on the trees in a few weeks. The hill is always open for walking off season with great views of fall color, free parking and no crowds. Take along your tennis racket bug zapper for maximum enjoyment, best 5 bucks you can spend to make a dusk walk enjoyable.

Speaking of snow, for those with Peak passes, you may be sliding earlier than usual. Mount Snow finished up the piping/ permitting and started the filling process for West Lake (the new 130 million gallon 'pond') last week by drawing from Snow Lake. They expect to have  it full in a few weeks.  6 days ago the progress video on the website said 100 days until opening day which would put it about Thanksgiving weekend. One of the blogs mentioned that they could open with 7 - 9 trails including a North Face one rather than the usual 3 - 5.  Mount Snow doesn't have the mid-mountain loading that Kmart has so this would be top to bottom & they reduced the trail names/count a few years ago to make reports more honest.   

Not surprising we missed eachother.   There were morning shifts (I had 6 to noon directing traffic through a nasty U-turn near the bottom of Cambell Hill Road) and afternoon shifts - and we were spread out over 30 miles.  I think it would have been a bigger coincidence if we did run into each other!!!

Do those mosquito zappers do anything for deer flies?

As to mid-mountain skiing, Mt. Snow does have have the Bear Trap Chair from the top of Carinthia to the bottom of the Sun Bowl.
    The bug zappers turn horse & deer flies into snapping cracklin' mini light shows for a few seconds. The bigger they are the more they spark.  They also get the little tiny flies too.... its really nice to get a bunch of them out of your face with one swing. Yeah, its a little sadistic, but its time to take back the hills from the dang winged things.

You can drop ticks on the thing as well, disposal problem solved...
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Perhaps with that freak cooling off of the Earth today they can make snow earlier.imageimage
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    IMG_6424.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
    IMG_6430.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • newpylongnewpylong expert

NELSBEER said:

Not surprising we missed eachother.   There were morning shifts (I had 6 to noon directing traffic through a nasty U-turn near the bottom of Cambell Hill Road) and afternoon shifts - and we were spread out over 30 miles.  I think it would have been a bigger coincidence if we did run into each other!!!

Do those mosquito zappers do anything for deer flies?

As to mid-mountain skiing, Mt. Snow does have have the Bear Trap Chair from the top of Carinthia to the bottom of the Sun Bowl.
    Beartrap is a non-starter as it faces nearly due South and is low elevation. If they were interested in anything but top to bottom they would do the North Face and downloading as they experimented with in the past. Faces North and higher elevation.
    edited August 22 Posts: 259
    Actually Kelly did mention North Face as a possible opening day option in her blog. No downloading though, just connected to the other trails/lifts normally. I get the impression that the desire at Mount Snow is to get enough open to appeal to a broader spectrum of people for the holiday weekend (and fill lodging)... subject to Mother nature delivering a few days of good cold of course.

If you remember when I ran into you last year early season there was one North face trail open, but so was Long John, a Park trail on Carinthia and a bunch of Blues on the main face. Descent skiing without excessive crowding.  A pretty good selection for folks starting their new season a little early. 

Peak does open Wildcat very much on the Kmart model, 1 trail top to bottom for good skiers because of their lift model.

Cannon is the one that could really play the early season game on the upper hill, bet the Upper Cannon run could be open real early with tram up/download the Cannonball Quad & top food service; it could redefine early season WROD skiing. 
    NELSBEER said:

Actually Kelly did mention North Face as a possible opening day option in her blog. No downloading though, just connected to the other trails/lifts normally. I get the impression that the desire at Mount Snow is to get enough open to appeal to a broader spectrum of people for the holiday weekend (and fill lodging)... subject to Mother nature delivering a few days of good cold of course.

If you remember when I ran into you last year early season there was one North face trail open, but so was Long John, a Park trail on Carinthia and a bunch of Blues on the main face. Descent skiing without excessive crowding.  A pretty good selection for folks starting their new season a little early. 

Peak does open Wildcat very much on the Kmart model, 1 trail top to bottom for good skiers because of their lift model.

Cannon is the one that could really play the early season game on the upper hill, bet the Upper Cannon run could be open real early with tram up/download the Cannonball Quad & top food service; it could redefine early season WROD skiing. 
    I don't see Cannon (given the ties to the state) a player for early season skiing.

IMO, the Killington model is to open in Oct. and close in June.  At this point, nobody is competing for end of season honors.  Up until last season, Sunday River has competed for early season honors.

Mt. Snow's major problem for early/late season has always been elevation.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Well, maybe latitude. Mt Snow Elevation 1900-3600. Barker Mt. at Sunday River (midstation), Elevation 2000-2594.
    I wouldn't really expect to see Cannon entering the early season fray. Just interesting to conjecture what they could do if some racing group were to subsidize it, in which case Cannonball would be the logical trail choice. It looks like about 1,000 feet vertical topping off at 4,080' & wide. Sort of a Copper Mountain East training ground. Think of the marvelous discussions here, the governor & Rocket reacting to it... much more interesting than Wooley Bears for a few weeks.

Closer to home... last year the Jack Frost (a Peak area in Pa.) Ski team was spotted training at Mount Snow early season. With their Peak passes they need only pay for food/lodging. I wonder if we'll see Crotched's team over there pre-CM season this year? I'd love to see a CM staff day at Mount Snow pre-season as well.

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited September 2 Posts: 1,740
    Tuneup for the 750Hp DC motor for the Rocket?
    What are they going to do? Replace the points? Gap the plugs?
    I'm gonna go a with new encoder

Edit: too Funny ME2VT
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BYdzZMBgCjS/
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ME2VTskierME2VTskier advanced
    edited September 2 Posts: 108
    ski_it said:

Tuneup for the 750Hp DC motor for the Rocket?
    What are they going to do? Replace the points? Gap the plugs?
    I'm gonna go a with new encoder

Flux Capacitor activated grips

As soon as the chair launches, and reaches 8.8mph, you go back in time to your first lift ride of the day...

Much more mundane - new bearings & brushes... maybe a more contemporary color? Grey has been way overdone. Maybe they could add an autoloader & bring it down to 3 1/2 minute ride?

It is good to see preventive maintenance of this sort going on, much nicer than a mid-winter "Oh S*$#!" moment when smoke waifs out of the loading station, the lift ceases to turn and the patrol has to turn out with ropes & ladders.  

They are also finishing up on the last of the grip re-builds for the Rocket chairs. Heavier tension on the grips will prevent slippage when the rope gets icy. This was the primary problem they experienced mornings & rainy/icy evenings last year.

Looking forward to many 4 minute rides this year. 

Chairs have been rehung on Valley LSQ lift & are in progress on the West double. About 100 days until Crotched will be opening for the season by my reckoning.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited September 2 Posts: 1,740
    Thanks for the update Nelsbeer. I welcome any improvements. 100 days!! Not sure I can wait that long until they open!!!
    ski_it said:

Thanks for the update Nelsbeer. I welcome any improvements. 100 days!! Not sure I can wait that long until they open!!!

To nelsbeer:  I had to think long and hard what LSQ meant.  I think the more standard terminology is FGQ :-)

Like ski_it and many other CM regulars, I too am anxious to start making turns for the new season.  If it helps, it's probably less than 50 days to early season turns at Killington
    edited September 3 Posts: 259
    Joshua,
    Having ridden the West & Valley lift many times with you I have grown to think of both as Low Speed when compared to the Rocket. The slower lifts are a nice break once in a while if you want to swallow a snack or have a longer than normal story to tell. Judging by the trash; people really have to chug to get a beer down on the Rocket! 

The West double might be better described as a VLSD. Being our beginner lift it is gentle on the load & unload and ever so slow to ride. It is a well shielded heavy old HALL that runs through anything. It is actually faster to ride to the top on the Rocket & ski to the top of West than it is to ride up West. For little kids, like my six year old grand daughter, it is still the BIG lift.

Aren't you going on a field trip to Loveland or A-Basin?  Snowmaking in about 28 days, WRD shortly thereafter...

NELSBEER said:

Joshua,

Aren't you going on a field trip to Loveland or A-Basin?  Snowmaking in about 28 days, WRD shortly thereafter...

I'm pretty much a New-England-only skier in this era of my life.
    Forgot to mention about WEST, it is sometimes our fastest lift, on those freezy wet icy mornings when everything else is being beaten into operating condition it is usually running on time... reminds me of the Bob Dylan line (apparently stolen by the Book of Proverbs judging by the internet) .. the slow one now will later be fast... 

Actually sort of a nice warm up for the day....
    On the Peak Resorts quarterly investors call today (Thursday Sept. 7) Tim Boyd (chairman) made an off hand comment that they expect to be making snow in less than 60 days at some of the Northeast resorts weather permitting. This looks a little earlier than usual but fits in nicely with the Boston Ski Show Nov. 9th-12th.. if they have even a few trails open they can really whet people's appetites at the show.

West Lake is reportedly half full now. Water is coming from natural flows/Snow Lake.  They have not even inflated the diversion dam yet which will optimize water collection looking forward. Sorry to put Mt Snow here, but Crotched & Mount Snow share a lot of resources, customers & management.
  • WeathermanWeatherman novice
    edited September 8 Posts: 1
    This seems like as good a place as any to put out a call for help. I'm looking for some contributions to my guide on Crotched Mountain. I'm building all the ski area guides as a wiki-style resource open for contributions from all registered members. I'd appreciate any contributions that you can offer.
  • edited September 8 Posts: 2,011

This seems like as good a place as any to put out a call for help. I'm looking for some contributions to my guide on Crotched Mountain. I'm building all the ski area guides as a wiki-style resource open for contributions from all registered members. I'd appreciate any contributions that you can offer.

Looks like a great site. I'll have to spend some time checking it out and I may be able to help contribute info for some areas.
    - Sam