Sunday River Spruce Peak replacement begins May

TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 357

I presume that they’re not putting in a FGQ is because an “apples
to apples” replacement is easier to be approved. However, there are two stats
that don’t jibe with the Liftblog.com info on the lift and the article below.
The article says with the conveyor, speed will increase to 500 fpm. Yet
Liftblog says the old lift was already 500 fpm. Second, one would think that
the new (faster??) lift will have at least the same capacity. But Liftblog says
1800 pph and the article says 1480 pph for the new lift. It’s not a big deal
but there’s some conflict.

Sunday River to start
chairlift replacement soon

April 19, 2017

Sunday
River Resort announced Tuesday that it would break ground on a new Spruce Peak
Triple chairlift next month, according to a press release.

Manufactured
by Doppelmayr USA, Inc., the new $2.1 million dollar, three-passenger fixed
grip chairlift will be built in the same location as the resort’s original
Spruce Peak Triple chairlift, and will utilize a conveyor system to help load
passengers.

Estimated
construction timeline for the new chairlift is six months to coincide with the
resort’s 2017/18 winter season.

Spanning
4,184 feet, the new Spruce Peak Triple will rise 1,207 vertical feet from the
base of the resort’s Spruce Peak to the summit. One hundred and forty-five
chairs will carry up to 1,480 guests per hour at a rate of 500 feet per minute.
The chairlift’s modern technology will shorten guest’s ride time by
approximately one-third — from 11 minutes to eight minutes — and provide an
overall more comfortable and efficient experience.

“We are
thrilled to announce this capital project with parent company Boyne Resorts on
the heels of welcoming in our new financial partner Och-Ziff Capital Management
Group,” Dana Bullen, Resort President and General Manager of Sunday River
Resort, said.

http://bethelcitizen.com/archives/2544

Comments

• DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Likely to do with chair spacing.  Doing the math based on 1480 capacity, that works out to roughly 1 chair unloading every 7.5 seconds, whereas the at the more common 6 seconds between unloading that gives you the 1800 per hour capacity.

I'm guessing the conveyor loading system, and how it can cause some "chaos" when people DON'T read and follow the directions for how to use is and hence cause stops, misloading, etc, might have something to do with the extra 1.5 seconds over standard loading time..  Either that or they want to keep a some extra folks per hour off the terrain on Spruce for snow quality
  • newpylongnewpylong advanced
    Quad vs triple does not really effect approval process.

I don't think standard speed was 500 for old triple.
  • slathamslatham intermediate
    I've always thought 500 fpm was normal speed and conveyors allowed a faster speed?
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited April 20 Posts: 791
    The old lift was 1800 pph and 500 fpm per skilifts.org.  Whether or not it ran at 500 is another question. A lot of ski areas slow down their lifts slightly to get a better overall throughput (such as 20% stop time at 500 fpm = 1440 pph while 10% stop time at 450 fpm would be 1458 pph).
  • PeterPeter intermediate
    The speed thing is all pretty meaningless when staff can literally change it with the turn of a knob at any moment for a variety of reasons. 500 fpm and 1,800 pph were the Borvig design specs in 1986.
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    Peter makes an excellent point. Liftblog and others may list the original specs that were approved, or simply the manufacturer's specs. What speed the resort runs a lift at, or how many chairs are on a lift, are questions only people like us and other similar blogs are interested in. I just checked, SR doesn't give those details on their site or trail map. Killington use to do so on their map. In a quick look, I didn't see such on their site. If I recall, when Outer Limits was a triple, it had over 1900 pph. They
    ran in fast.

• newpylongnewpylong advanced
    You will be hard pressed to find many fixed grips running that fast in normal service. The later Borvigs will go up to 550, obviously not legal to load without a conveyer. Most beginner lifts are in the 350 range with others around 450. But as Peter said, there is a dial in the operator building to set normal and slow FPM.
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    As I remember the old lift had a lot more chairs than demand. There were seldom more than a few people in line to use the Blue/Black trails it mostly serves. There were connectivity aspects as well, spreading out demand. Greater spacing will leave a little more time for the customer to get in place & sit facilitating greater speed. The lift tended to service a non-beginner clientele, so it sounds like it will all work out.
  • obienickobienick expert
    OT, but was the old OL triple really run fast or just short spacing? It's a pretty short lift. IIRC the old website for Riblet mentioned doubles serving expert terrain can be run at 5.5 second spacing.
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced

I looked up some old Killington brochures. I have them back
    to the late 70’s. They say (82-83) the Bear Mt. triple had 1980 pph capacity.
    By 84-85 it was a quad doing 2400 pph. They called that Bear Mt. North. Devil’s
    Fiddle was the Bear Mt. South Quad with a 2700 pph. I only rode that quad a few
    times when parking at the Northeast Passage. The brochure says that triple was
    a 17 min. ride. The original gondola was 25 min.