Squaw Valley Open Through Summer?

By: UnofficialNet | April 16, 2017

Squaw Valley ski resort in California had such a big snow season this winter that resort officials are considering keeping the ski hill open through the summer, fall and right into the start of next ski season…

Squaw Valley CEO Andy Wirth told Truckee Tahoe Radio:

“I’m actually considering staying open through the summer and fall so it becomes the 16/17/18 season. We’re taking a hard look at that. Maybe we spin Shirley through the summer. There’s so much snow up there.”

“We think it’d be a cool thing if people uploaded on the tram and likely hiked up a couple of hundred meters and dropped Shirley.”

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/04/squaw-valley-is-considering-staying-open-though-the-summer-and-right-into-next-season
- Sam

Comments

• PeterPeter intermediate
    edited April 17 Posts: 52
    "What's the big deal?" -Timberline Lodge
    (does exactly this every year.  The Palmer lift closes in winter and opens all summer.)
  • LiftGuyLiftGuy advanced
    Peter said:

(does exactly this every year.  The Palmer lift closes in winter and opens all summer.)

The big deal is Timberline does this historically...Squaw has never done it. It will be their first time.
    I left Squaw in '76 after a 600 inch winter and they didn't go past June.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    I wonder if they will have to plow snow come August/September to maintain snow-cover continuity?
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced
    Peter said:

The big deal will be the 10s of thousands of people who hit the Lake Tahoe area in the summer, will now have another option. Summer is more crowded than winter in the Tahoe area, so the people are there already. I was there last summer, and would have loved to taken a few runs under the July sun.
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    Peter said:

They also don't do it every year, some years Palmer hasn't made it all summer.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    I think this would be good for the sport