Aspen, KSL to Acquire Intrawest

jgrecojgreco intermediate
in The Pit Posts: 30
I hadn't seen this posted here yet. Sorry if duplicate.

My first reaction was "that will hurt the MAX Pass!"

"For the 2017-18 winter season, each Intrawest resort will continue to honor the resort’s existing pass products that are currently on sale, including the Rocky Mountain Super Pass + and the M.A.X. Pass."

Comments

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    East this is Stratton/Tremblant/Snowshoe...anything else left?

Wonder if SkiCo will work to put the Aspen resorts on the MAX pass

• jgrecojgreco intermediate

East this is Stratton/Tremblant/Snowshoe...anything else left?

Wonder if SkiCo will work to put the Aspen resorts on the MAX pass

1. Blue Mountain, ON for eastern NA
    2. That would be amazing, but I think Aspen helped develop the Mountain Collective Pass. My guess they'd add former Intrawest mountains to that.

With the final fork in the slow-roasting demise of Intrawest in place, does Intrawest's collapse compare to ASC's?
    edited April 10 Posts: 929
    jgreco said:

With the final fork in the slow-roasting demise of Intrawest in place, does Intrawest's collapse compare to ASC's?

ahhh, I don't think it's much like that at all. Intrawest still has a market cap close to a billion dollars and stock is at an all time high. ASC stock was suitable for...pellet stove fuel. Ha! I was going to say wallpaper but couldn't help myself.

ASC was much more dramatic and Hindenburg-like compared to this.  This is like a classic car that runs out of gas and the owner just says, bah, sell it.

Forgot about Blue, thanks.

Memory fails me, when did they offload Copper? Who owns that these days?

I really thought Vail was going to snap up some of these, particularly Stratton & Snowshoe
  • LiftGuyLiftGuy advanced
    Not sure when the 'offload' of Copper was, but now part of Powdr Corp
  • obienickobienick expert
    Wasn't the MAX pass introduced by independents to fight Aspen and Vail?  I'm hearing rumors that the Intrawest resorts will not be on the MAX pass for 2018-19.

I don't think this compares to ASC in the slightest.
  • xwhalerxwhaler intermediate
    What EC mtns may be added to the Mtn Collective pass? Any guesses?
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    I believe Copper was "offloaded" when Fortress took Intrawest private for like $3 billion dollars in '07, I believe. I don't see anything at all similar between Intrawest and ASC.
    Don't see the need for quotation marks on offload    :D
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    And Aspen/KSL's buying spree continued today with the announcement that they're acquiring Mammoth as well!!

They've sure added to their debt load this past week!! :-O
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    So for us little people who is the largest area with private ownership?
    I would like to patronize them before getting bought out and not being able to afford $200 daily passes
    edited April 12 Posts: 929
    ciscokid said:

I would like to patronize them before getting bought out and not being able to afford $200 daily passes

Arguably "largest" eastern ski area is also lowest cost and is publicly owned...You mentioned in the Sherburne Trail thread that it doesn't look too steep   :D

ciscokid said:

Actually largest ski area is also lowest cost and is publicly owned...You mentioned in the other thread that it doesn't look too steep   :D
    my memory is deceiving me Rick can you give me an example of the largest area with the lowest cost I don't care who owns it I guess

I just need something like a Boyne g type area with a Caberfae I see $99 weekend season pass any such animal out there
    edited April 12 Posts: 929
    Plenty of options!  "Big" places, affordable -- Cannon in the east public,.  Loveland in Colorado private.  And lest we forget Burke VT, owned by.....? 

My guess for "best deal" is Bridger Bowl Montana with 2600' lift served and a top ticket price of $57 is hard to beat; that's operated by a non-profit foundation.

Any bargains for 62 yr olds to look forward to in a few yrs?

At least golfers generally get a senior discount at 55

Yea love Loveland and the boys would too but not the lungs

Maybe Whistler for lungs but not wallet

This doesn't look steep either
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    With the purchase of Mammoth (other thread) here's a list from Liftblog.com.

The new yet-to-be-named entity will operate:

• Alpine Meadows, CA
    • Bear Mountain, CA
    • Blue Mountain, ON
    • June Mountain, CA
    • Mammoth Mountain, CA
    • Snowshoe, WV
    • Snow Summit, CA
    • Steamboat, CO
    • Squaw Valley, CA
    • Stratton, VT
    • Tremblant, QC
    • Winter Park, CO

Aspen Skiing Company will continue to independently own Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk and Snowmass but it will likely cozy up to its partner resorts. With Aspen included, the new company will operate 207 lifts at 16 mountains compared with Vail Resorts’ 261 lifts at 14 mountains.  Like Monday’s deal, the Mammoth acquisition is expected to close in the third quarter.  What a week, and it’s only Wednesday.