Closing Dates 2017

JonniJonni intermediate
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 24
Interesting to not see this topic yet...though I may just not have seen it below everything else (this can be closed if there already is one).

Some that I know:

Bolton Valley - April 9th
Middlebury College Snow Bowl - April 2nd
Pats Peak - Closed March 26th
Pico - April 9th
Ragged Mountain - April 2nd
Whaleback - Closed March 17th

Comments

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Attitash saying "Sunday [4/2] is typically our closing day but we are hoping to get another weekend in"

• newpylongnewpylong advanced
    Whaleback was 3/18
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    A week ago at the W.O.T.S. (Wachusett Old Time Skiers) cookout, which turned out to be a cook-in, Jeff Crowley said closing date had been set for April 2. But, at that time the weather was cold, the snow was good, and he said they were thinking of adding one more long weekend.Whether  this week's rain and warm air has changed that, and whether tomorrow's predicted snowfall will make a differ
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    ence, time will tell.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Mt. Ellen: Sunday 4/2 is last day.
  • obienickobienick expert
    Last day at Big Squaw ... 4/2.

Already have had their busiest year yet!
  • MadPatSkiMadPatSki intermediate
    edited March 31 Posts: 77

A quick update between two ski days in Vermont...and a return-trip to Ottawa. Going to be a short night.

Big Corn and Snow in April – Eastern Closing Thread 2017 – Part 1

Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    obienick said:

Any word on summit lift install/reopen date?
  • jaytremjaytrem intermediate
    Thanks for the list Pat, I always find that helpful. You can add Big Boulder in PA, my guess is they'll be Fri to Sun for the next couple weeks. Maybe Thursday too. Often the last to close in PA.
    jaytrem said:

Thanks for the list Pat, I always find that helpful. You can add Big Boulder in PA, my guess is they'll be Fri to Sun for the next couple weeks. Maybe Thursday too. Often the last to close in PA.

Thanks. I missed that one. Too many places to compile this week. ;)
    Ski Mad World
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    edited March 31 Posts: 726

obienick said:

I've been following Big (little) Squaw on Facebook (The Friends of Squaw Mountain) - such enthusiasm there! And a ton of natural snow. After last weekend they reported 7,748 tickets sold for the year. They've given several snowcat rides to the summit to $500 donors, and posted videos of them skiing down the Penobscot trail, which you can just make out in this webcam. Now we can watch the ice go out on Moosehead Lake over the next month.

http://mooseheadlake.us/

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited April 4 Posts: 1,550

Gateway Hills closed 3/17. Website says closed for the season. Facebook says hope to reopen soon. They might miss the 2nd or 3rd biggest snowfall of the season.

Edit: 4/4 from the highway on 4/2 it looked like it did not open last weekend.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    edited March 31 Posts: 791
    Long way off.  They are raising funds for a 2nd groomer which they need before reaching the top. IDK how far along for the groomer deposit they are but there has been at least 4 of the $500-donation-required shuttles to the top. 

They have said they old double is a goner.  Simply too much work, especially with footers, to get it up to code and accepted.  They have had a little-talked-about fund for a new lift since they reopened.  With the manufacturers' pricing with respect to non-profits (Middlebury's price was lower than the market rate at the time) and early orders, Big Squaw could save a bit off the going rate.  They have quoted $3M is needed despite the lift being much longer (it's 5918 ft long while other recent quads are $3M for 4000 ft).

I imagine they might also be able to get development loans and grants from the state and the USDA to help cover some of the cost.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Squaw could shorten the summit lift by 1500 feet or so if they sacrificed some flats at the bottom and had the new lift start on the Penobscot trail at a point where it's accessible from the triple.
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    Wachusett, I understand, may run next weekend (April 7,8 9) if snow conditions are right. They are telling people to call. They had all their season-ending foolishness - cardboard box races, slush pond, etc., Sunday and ran again Monday. People who wore Red Sox stuff paid $5 for a lift ticket. Plenty of snow on the mountain, so I expect diehards will climb after the lifts close.
  • skirickskirick intermediate
    Mt Snow is saying Easter Sunday (4/16) will be their last day.
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    skirick said:

From what I was reading that would be the last continuous day of operations, i.e. could reopen following weekend based on weather/conditions.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    mtsnow123 said:

skirick said:

From what I was reading that would be the last continuous day of operations, i.e. could reopen following weekend based on weather/conditions.
    That's exactly how I read it as well!

If the Easter weekend business is solid, there's still snow, and the weather the following weekend (22/23) looks good, I would think the option to reopen for 1 more weekend might be there the way it was worded......

And per Bromley's FB page, they made the call today NOT to reopen this coming weekend, so April 2nd was their last day
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    Today's ski report says April 16th is the last day on the slopes.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

This weekend update on who's spinning and closing dates floating around.

Still 98 ski areas in the East still hoping to spin this weekend:

Québec : 48
    Vermont : 13
    New Hampshire : 9
    New York : 6
    Maine : 5 
    Ontario, Newfoundland & Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia & Massachusetts : 2 each
    Pennsylvania : 1

April Snow, April Showers – Eastern Closing Thread 2017 – Week 2

Ski Mad World
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited April 8 Posts: 1,550
    Cranmore is closed. So 4/2 last day?
    And the trails look great from Westside Rd today 4/8 partly sunny with snow showers in the valleys
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    Cannon closing 4/16
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    It is going to be in the 70's come Monday here in Vermont. I am sure that's going to slam most of the natural trails everywhere. 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Attitash closed 4/9/2017
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    ski_it said:

Attitash closed 4/9/2017

I suspect this is a Peak Resorts business decision that is as logical for them as POWDR's closing of Pico.

• ski_itski_it expert

ski_it said:

Attitash closed 4/9/2017

I suspect this is a Peak Resorts business decision that is as logical for them as POWDR's closing of Pico.

Can't say I blame them based on the Saturday crowd I saw.
  • jaytremjaytrem intermediate
    Pretty good crowd at Wildcat today. Not many kids though.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    MadPatSki said:

This weekend update on who's spinning and closing dates floating around.

Still 98 ski areas in the East still hoping to spin this weekend:

Québec : 48
    Vermont : 13
    New Hampshire : 9
    New York : 6
    Maine : 5 
    Ontario, Newfoundland & Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia & Massachusetts : 2 each
    Pennsylvania : 1

April Snow, April Showers – Eastern Closing Thread 2017 – Week 2

That only adds up to 92.
    edited April 10 Posts: 791
    I too get 92.
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    Wachusett ran April 7,8 and 9, then closed, though on Monday there was at least one skier who earned turns on a 70s degree day by climbing. That will probably comyinue for a little while, anyway. Very few bare spots showing on the mountain Monday, though I expect summer-like temps this week will change that.