Perfect day at Cannon....Almost. 3-18

SpruceSpruce intermediate
in Trip Reports Posts: 26
Conditions today at Cannon could not have been any better today.  Blue bird, zero wind and primo snow.  Crowds were out but it never seemed too crowded as the longest line we waited in was probably 5 minutes at Peabody around 10:30.  Pretty much everything was in play as we worked the mountain from the Tram to Mittersill and back.  Firm in the morning and softened nicely in the afternoon. Perfect day... Almost.
Around 2:00 we hopped on Peabody for what was to be our last run of the day when about 3/4 of the way up the lift abruptly stopped.  A couple minutes, 5, 10 , 20 30, 40 mins. Word spread down the line that there was a major power outage in the region.  Ski patrol skied under each chair letting us know that the generators would turn on but could only run each lift at a time on auxiliary power.  After about 5 more minutes the chair started back up but at an unreal speed- Alarmingly fast.  No sooner when we unloaded it stopped again, I believe to allow another lift to run.  Once we made it down to the tram base (where we started the day) staff was on hand offering 1/2 off vouchers for our next visit good through 2017-18.  I certainly didn't expect that at all!  Great customer service in what really wasn't an awful ordeal (for us).  Sitting on a lift on what was to be our last run after an amazing day of family skiing, in brilliant sunshine?   Could have been worse.  In my 40+ years of skiing I've never been involved in a massive power outage while on a lift.  I guess I can now check that off the list.  
Anyone else up in the region today?  I heard that Bretton Woods lost power as well. 

Comments

• Bkroon9175Bkroon9175 intermediate
    I was there and couldn't agree more with your assessment of the ski day. However, the power outage was horrible. My son and I had just gotten on the Tram and we were almost to the mid point when the tram stopped. We both looked at each other cause we new trams seldom stop. At about 4:15 the team started to move "downhill" (so we couldn't even get our last run UGH!!!). Finally exited the team at about 4:30. We were toast after standing for almost two hours on a full tram. It was a great Cannon day except for our prolonged stay on the tram.
  • SpruceSpruce intermediate
    edited March 19 Posts: 26

I was there and couldn't agree more with your assessment of the ski day. However, the power outage was horrible. My son and I had just gotten on the Tram and we were almost to the mid point when the tram stopped. We both looked at each other cause we new trams seldom stop. At about 4:15 the team started to move "downhill" (so we couldn't even get our last run UGH!!!). Finally exited the team at about 4:30. We were toast after standing for almost two hours on a full tram. It was a great Cannon day except for our prolonged stay on the tram.

Yeah, that's a bummer about the tram. We were at the base station when it finally came back down. My son has video of the car opening and you guys letting out a cheer.

I have a video of the Peabody running FAST on aux. Crazy. Once I figure out how to upload here I'll post.
  • CannonballCannonball intermediate
    edited March 19 Posts: 85
    I was stuck on the cannonball for about 20min. But the day also STARTED with a broken Zoomer chair, forcing everyone to walk to the tram from Zoomer.
    Sounds like it was a pretty crazy day. I'd like to see that video of the chair running fast.
    - Sam
  • timberleaftimberleaf intermediate
    The Zoomer delay was pretty minor - I'd bet it was running by the time you got to the tram.  I waited it out, not really a big deal if you grade it on the Cannon lift interruption curve.  I don't know the name of the mechanic, but I've seen him come flying up to a stopped lift a number of times, goes inside the house or up top and before you know it the thing is spinning again.  Same thing at Zoomer Saturday.  The guy is amazing.

I'd just gotten off the Cannonball quad when it stopped.  Somebody had a boom box (80s day doncha know) on in one of the chairs near the top and I noticed the music wasn't moving as I crossed under the chair on my way over to upper cannon.  Down past the top of the Peabody... uh, oh.  Stopped there as well.  Then we got out to a spot in Rock Garden where you can see the Peabody, Eagle Cliff, and Zoomer chairs... all stopped.  Very quiet.  It was eerie.

I thought about heading down to Zoomer to wait it out, but it just didn't feel like it was a momentary interruption.  Way too quiet.  So I went to the tram house, got changed in the dark, took a couple of looks up at the stuck tram cars and headed out thinking that I dodged a bullet.

The outage did something to the water pump as there was no water - or limited water, not sure - at the Peabody lodge on Sunday.

I talked to a lot of people and nobody had any idea what the cause of the outage was.  There were apparently some additional outages Saturday night up around Littleton - also without any known cause.

It was a strange day for a power outage for sure - one of the most beautiful days I've ever spent in the notch...  I'm sure losing power was the last thing anybody expected.
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Wow. 45 mins on a lift, 2 hours standing in the tram? I would have lost my shit. 
    Glad all were OK tho in the end.
    My Life Is A Very Complicated Drinking Game......
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    maybe Les was tinkering with the windmills up north    :D
  • tededetedede advanced
    I talked to a lot of people and nobody had any idea what the cause of the outage was.  There were apparently some additional outages Saturday night up around Littleton - also without any known cause.
    They can always blame the Russians.   ;)) ;)) ;))