Sugarbush, March 17, 2017

NELSAPNELSAP advanced
in Trip Reports Posts: 110
Wow wow wow wow wow! What a great day! It does not get much better than this....they received up to 3' of new snow, skies were bluebird, temps were in the teens and 20's, the wind wasn't awful, and everything was open. What a change from a week ago!

I arrived at Lincoln Peak right at 9am, and proceeded to make as many runs on that side as possible. Snowball was an excellent warm up run on the Valley Quad. Then progressed up Heaven's Gate to Ripcord - it had been groomed overnight - but it was super soft and starting to mogul up. Really enjoyable! Then back up the lift and down Jester to the base, up Super Bravo to Murphy's Glade, back up Super Bravo to Spring Fling. Then over to Gate House to North Lynx - Birch Run to Sleeper is one of my favorite runs. Next run checked out the Village Double (see my other post), then over on Slide Brook (nearly 20 years since I last rode it) to Mount Ellen.

I met up with my good friend and SJ contributor Betsy in the afternoon at Mount Ellen in the afternoon. It was great catching up with her and the afternoon was fantastic! Only issue was top of Rim Run at the Summit Quad - the wind had blown it to ice. Once past that, no issues. Elbow was like butter, the rest of Rim Run too.

We decided to ski Lower FIS. Now that is quite a run....not much like it. We knew it would be a challenge. While not crazy steep, it is all natural, and the snow was thick on it. Takes some effort to get down - but just a beautiful trail! The runout is slowwwww and tiring. It's a true old fashioned New England trail. It took a lot of energy to get down but it was well worth it (pics 9 and 10). We took several runs on the Sunshine Double (see another post on that too), before hitting up some cruisers, and then a run over to Inverness.

All in all an amazing day - check out the photos below.
base.jpg
936 x 527 - 174K
topsuperbravo.jpg
936 x 425 - 163K
ripcord1.jpg
936 x 527 - 219K
heavensgate.jpg
936 x 527 - 187K
murphys.jpg
936 x 527 - 225K
sleeper.jpg
936 x 527 - 293K
betsyandjeremy.jpg
936 x 527 - 201K
betsyattop.jpg
936 x 527 - 213K
fis2.jpg
936 x 527 - 274K
fis1.jpg
936 x 527 - 282K
slidebrook.jpg
936 x 527 - 215K
inverness.jpg
936 x 527 - 229K

Comments

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    Wow is right!

Beautiful report and pics!
    Looks like an amazing day! Thanks for sharing
    - Sam
  • BetsyBetsy intermediate
    Was great meeting up with Jeremy today....only my 2nd day out this season (I know, I know). He just about killed me on Lower FIS - I'm completely out of shape trying to keep up with a triatholon-er. LOL. Was so fun. A little slow going for me this morning. If you can get out on the slopes this weekend DO IT.
  • BetsyBetsy intermediate
    OH. Mount Ellen was only $17 for the day which made the day even sweeter!
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Great report and it sounds sweet.
    PS: I told u guys Betsy still posts.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    Thanks for the great report! I haven't been able to ski much these past few years due to an ongoing medical crisis at home with the spouse so these really make a difference. The photos are sweet!

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    Betsy said:

Was great meeting up with Jeremy today....only my 2nd day out this season (I know, I know). He just about killed me on Lower FIS - I'm completely out of shape trying to keep up with a triatholon-er. LOL. Was so fun. A little slow going for me this morning. If you can get out on the slopes this weekend DO IT.

Betsy said:

I am familiar with that " out of shape" term.

Was that Poma or bar running ?

IMG_1178.JPG
    936 x 527 - 238K
    Do Castlerock JD?