Ski Areas Not Owned by a Big, For-Profit Corporation

2»

Comments

• obienickobienick expert
    While we're expanding westward, Greek Peak, NY and Toggenberg, NY are both owned by two long time skiers of Greek Peak who are businessmen from Elmira.
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    Alright, some great feedback.  Updated list...

Suggestions so far:
    - Hermatige
    - Lost Valley
    - Black Mountain, NH
    - Tenney (when they open)
    - Magic
    - Loveland
    - Silverton
    - Oak Mtn
    - Sugarbush
    - Mad River Glen
    - Plattekill
    - Caberfae 
    - Lyndon Outing Club
    - Cochrans
    - Dartmouth Skiway
    - Whaleback 
    - Abram
    Bousquet
    - Wachusett
    - Ski Ward
    - Elk Mountain
    - Greek Peak
    - Toggenberg 

Possible removals:
    - Bolton (maybe kicked out do to real estate group ownership) 
    - Smugglers Notch (teighs says Bill Stritzler is not a skier)

As to obienick's question about defining "big, for-profit corporations", I don't really know.  That was was a suggested change in title by mtsnow123.  I guess I would refer back to my original intent of "skier-owned" and MRG's claim that they are the only skier-owned mountain.   And I'd throw in your own judgement of what big corporate means.  
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    Nashoba Valley was, and I guess still is, owned by the Fletchers, isn't it? Allen (?) Fletcher was a skier and his daughter Pam (U.S. Ski Team) certainly is.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Surprised no one has mentioned Pat's Peak (Patnodes)
  • philphil intermediate
    What about Titcomb in Farmington, ME.  I think it is owned by a ski club
  • njskibabenjskibabe intermediate
    Mount Peter Ski Area - Warwick, NY (family owned)
    Suggestions so far:
    1) Hermatige
    2) Lost Valley
    3) Black Mountain, NH
    4) Tenney (when they open)
    5) Magic
    6) Loveland
    7) Silverton
    8) Oak Mtn
    9) Sugarbush
    10) Mad River Glen
    11) Plattekill
    12) Caberfae 
    13) Lyndon Outing Club
    14) Cochrans
    15) Dartmouth Skiway
    16) Whaleback 
    17) Abram
    18) Bousquet
    19) Wachusett
    20) Ski Ward
    21) Elk Mountain
    22) Greek Peak
    23) Toggenberg 
    24) Nashoba Valley
    25) Titcomb
    26) Mt Peter

Possible removals:
    - Bolton (maybe kicked out do to real estate group ownership) 
    - Smugglers Notch (teighs says Bill Stritzler is not a skier)

So getting back to the original premise of this thread.  Mad River Glenn claims to be "America's ONLY skier-owned mountain".  The list above shows at least two dozen areas that prove MRG's claim false. 
  • Bkroon9175Bkroon9175 intermediate
    Pats Peak was built and still owned by the Patenaude Family. (Hopefully I spelled it correctly)
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Bolton can now be added to the official list. Just sold to the original founders of the resort.
  • bobbuttsbobbutts intermediate

Pats Peak was built and still owned by the Patenaude Family. (Hopefully I spelled it correctly)

Yep, I was about to post the same before I saw your post.  Definitely should be on the list.
  • z1000307470z1000307470 intermediate
    edited April 17 Posts: 75

Whiteface, Gore, Belleayre, Cannon are clearly not owned by a big, for profit corp.

;))
    I would add Labrador and Song Mt in Central NY - although these two would greatly benefit from being a part of either for-profit group. It would, however, likely spell certain doom for their classic Hall and Riblet lifts, including their t-bars. 

IBRAKE
  • mapnutmapnut expert

Whiteface, Gore, Belleayre, Cannon are clearly not owned by a big, for profit corp.

;))

Well, this thread started out being about "skier-owned" mountains. Not everybody in New York and New Hampshire are skiers.

• trackbikertrackbiker intermediate
    edited April 18 Posts: 92

The 3 western PA resorts are owned by the Nutting family who own the Pirates. Three of the south central resorts are owned by Snowtime, Inc.  Peak Resorts owns Jack Frost and Big Bolder. Bear Creek, Eagle Rock, and Shawnee are owned by a real estate management companies. The balance of the PA resorts are skier owned,

• Spring Mountain
    • Blue Mountain
    • Camelback
    • Big Bear (Owned by the community run by a local small management company)
    • Montage
    • Sawmill
    • Blue Knob

Not sure about Tussey and Nemocolin Woods.

• njskibabenjskibabe intermediate
    Mt. Peter - Warwick, NY - still family owned.

Campgaw Mountain - Mahwah, NJ - County owned.
  • JimKJimK advanced
    edited April 20 Posts: 211
    Interesting development at Crystal Mtn, WA with respect to this topic.
    Essentially, John Kircher who was long part of the Boyne ski conglomerate has removed himself from all that to be sole owner and solely involved in Crystal Mtn as his focus:

Suggestions so far:
    1) Hermatige
    2) Lost Valley
    3) Black Mountain, NH
    4) Tenney (when they open)
    5) Magic
    6) Loveland
    7) Silverton
    8) Oak Mtn
    9) Sugarbush
    10) Mad River Glen
    11) Plattekill
    12) Caberfae 
    13) Lyndon Outing Club
    14) Cochrans
    15) Dartmouth Skiway
    16) Whaleback 
    17) Abram
    18) Bousquet
    19) Wachusett
    20) Ski Ward
    21) Elk Mountain
    22) Greek Peak
    23) Toggenberg 
    24) Nashoba Valley
    25) Titcomb
    26) Mt Peter
    RECENT ADDITIONS
    27) Pats Peak
    28) Labrador
    29) Song Mt 
    30) Spring Mountain
    31) Blue Mountain
    32) Camelback
    33) Big Bear 
    34) Montage
    35) Sawmill
    36) Blue Knob
    37) Mt. Peter
    38) Campgaw Mountain
    39) Crystal Mtn

So getting back to the original premise of this thread.  Mad River Glenn claims to be "America's ONLY skier-owned mountain".  The list above shows at least three dozen areas that prove MRG's claim to be false. 
    Suggestions so far:

So getting back to the original premise of this thread.  Mad River Glenn claims to be "America's ONLY skier-owned mountain".  The list above shows at least three dozen areas that prove MRG's claim to be false. 
    When MRG says "skier owned mountain", they don't mean one or even 100 skiers.  Before the co-op, MRG was owned privately by Betsy Pratt.

I suppose there are thousands of skiers who own stock in Vail.  IMO, that still does not what makes them a "skier owned mountain."
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    Holiday Valley is owned by the Win-Sum Ski Corporation-- a private group. My father bought five shares of stock when it opened and the sale of them paid for a big chunk of my brother's and my college years. He'd sell stock to an old friend of his. Not sure how many shared are outstanding. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • slathamslatham advanced

On the list above, is Hermatige the Hermitage Club? While technically not a "Big, For-Profit Corporation" it certainly is not in the same spirit as the others. I mean, how can Magic and Hermitage be on any list together? In fact, I would say Bromley "fits" this list better than the Hermitage Club, yet it doesn't make it (correctly) based on the criteria of the title of the thread.

But a great and enlightening list.

• skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    I believe that you can add Otis Ridge to the list.

When MRG says "skier owned mountain", they don't mean one or even 100 skiers.

I'm not disputing that MRG is skier owned. I'm disputing their claim that that they are "America's ONLY skier owned mountain". Do you think their statement is accurate?

When MRG says "skier owned mountain", they don't mean one or even 100 skiers.

I'm not disputing that MRG is skier owned. I'm disputing their claim that that they are "America's ONLY skier owned mountain". Do you think their statement is accurate?
    The co-op ownership (differentiated from "club ownership"), as far as I know, is unique.  I guess, depending on definitions, one could argue it either way.

The co-op ownership (differentiated from "club ownership"), as far as I know, is unique.  I guess, depending on definitions, one could argue it either way.

I guess that's true.....if you use the Bill Clinton approach that even the most basic words are open to alternative definitions.

I guess that's true.....if you use the Bill Clinton approach that even the most basic words are open to alternative definitions.
    It gets worse.  With the current administration, there are alternative facts, which when I was growing up, we called lies!