MAX Pass: Track your value

CannonballCannonball advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 123
There were a couple of early season threads about the MAX Pass.  It seemed like there were enough SJ folks who bought in to warrant a separate thread that tracks how well the pass is paying off.  Was it a good investment this year? Will it be a good option in the future?  Post your tally of usage and value...

For me, I bought early and paid $599. 
So far I have used it:
- 2 days at Loon
- 1 day at Killington 
- 1 day at Sunday River 
So far the cost per day = $149.75.  Obviously not a deal so far.

Forecasted usage this season:
- 5 days at Loon.  I live right across the street.  I've actually been saving the days but will easily use all 5.
- 3-5 days at Sunday River.  It's not far, I expect I'll get all 5 days.
- 3-5 days at Killington. These are the days I'm saving for late season
- 2-3 nights at Wachusett.  
- 1-2 days at Boreal @Tahoe. I'll be there for work in Feb.  Should get at least a day.
- 10-14 days in CAN Rockies.  I already have a trip booked in March that hits 4 MAX Pass Mtns (Nakiska, Kicking Horse, Kimberly, Fernie). Of course weather could turn bad and I may only get a minimum of days).
-   3-5 days at Sugarloaf, Tremblant, Stratton, Pico, Sunapee, etc before the season ends.

Total projected = 27 to 39 days.  Cost/day = $22 to $15.  

I'm sure I'll break even. And it will likely be a bargain.  On the other hand, I also shelled out $599 for a Cannon season pass, so I also need a dozen or so days to make that one worthwhile (at 9 there so far). 

Comments

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    hey that looks like a great deal for you!

Good friend of mine bought one, wiped out at Mt Snow with a concussion and serious shoulder injury in early December.  He never got to use his max pass, had plans for Mt Bachelor, Big Sky.  Was going to use it the next day at Okemo for the first time.  His use will be zero

So, it makes me glad to hear of someone who is getting a good value out of it!  
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited February 24 Posts: 1,653

No MAX Pass here but I am a PeakPass holder. Can I list mine here?

Paid $499

Edit 2/23

- 2 days at Wildcat - last season

- 2 summer chairlift rides

- 9 days at Crotched - this season

- 2 days at Mount Snow

No planned trips. So far the ticket cost on passper ski trip $38.4 but $443 in the red - based on walk up window prices. Skied 3 other "resorts" total $111.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    Just finished 11 days in a row in the Canadian Rockies (Nakiska, Kicking Horse x5, Kimberley x2, Fernie x3). All on the Max Pass. Locally I've used the pass at Killington, Loon x4, Sunday River X3. That all adds up to 19 days for $599 = $31.51 per day. I'm still expecting to get about 5-6 more days out of it this season.

The Max Pass is a no-brainer if you like to road trip around east and do a western trip.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Wow that's some traveling and a great bargain. Jealous I am.
    And what? No trip reports?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    ski_it said:

I'll be sure to add some when I get back. Been rough to do from only a phone to type on.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited April 9 Posts: 1,378
    ski_it said:

Yes please, stayed in Golden in a dump Econolodge but didn't get up the gondy last August, heavy fog. Stayed in Cranbrook but curious about Kimberley

Phone is all I have,please use it if possible
    Have seen reports on nyskiblog of KH and Fernie

Still say Canadian Rockies prettiest place in NAmerica but have to get to Yukon and Alaska yet
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited April 12 Posts: 1,378
    Still waiting on all them Canadian Rockies TRs

Looked at it for $629 next yr, boyne and highlands on it but that would be $62 day if I get 5 at each, don't know how many other areas I would hit.
    Mich had a white card for $269 ( 1 day at 35 mich areas)
    I need to do the upper peninsula after getting my " private "plane trip cancelled at Bohemia and setting me back $180 in deposits. Man my wife was pissed
  • 4aprice4aprice intermediate
    Went with the combination of  Max Pass and Camelback Pass this past season.  It was a good season with a total of 38 days which would have been better with a better early season weather wise.  Our boy has moved out west to Colorado and Max lined up nicely with the Rocky Mountain Super Pass so we racked up a lot of frequent flyer miles with 3 trips out west.  Here in the east we hit Sunapee (1), Loon (3), Okemo (2), Stratton (2) and Killington (4).  Out West it was Cooper (2), Steamboat (2) Solitude (2) Brighton (3) and Winter Park (4).  What it works out to $ wise I'haven't taken the time to figure out.  What I will Say is that I certainly felt I got my money's worth every time I looked at the day pass prices. If anything we may have lost a little on the CBK pass but there's value in that pass to us as well.  Re-upped Max for this coming season which looks good from here with the addition of Belleayre and Windham (and Mountain Creek ) as day trips as well as "empty nest" weekends in New England for me and the wife and more trips out west to Utah and Colorado

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    IMG_1244.JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 2M